1st time changing oil???

15 replies to this topic
  • flintlock28

Posted June 05, 2005 - 04:38 PM

I've got about 10 hours or so on my 2004 Yz 450f (bought used) and since I'm not sure when the previous owner changed the oil, I'm gonna change it as soon as my Scotts performance oil filter arrives.

What tips have you learned to make it as smooth as possible??
for example...should I drain the chassis first before the crankcase or vice-versa?

I've heard not to bother taking out the frame screen filter, but I don't know if the previous guy did it or not so I'm gonna check that out too to be sure. Any recommendations on taking that out??

Any help appreciated...

Don

• grayracer513

Posted June 05, 2005 - 04:45 PM

If you are going to remove the frame screen, remove the feed oil line from both ends, engine end first. this will help avoid cracking the line at the engine fitting.

Check the screen once now, and again after the engine is first run following major engine work.

Drain the filter well to the outside, not through the internal drain. The threads on the allen bolt will last much longer. :)

• flintlock28

Posted June 05, 2005 - 06:02 PM

"Drain the filter well to the outside, not through the internal drain. The threads on the allen bolt will last much longer"

grayracer513, could you clarify this statement...I'm not getting what you mean by this.

Don

• grayracer513

Posted June 05, 2005 - 10:35 PM

The manual suggests backing out the allen bolt most of the way and allowing the oil in the filter well to drain through a hole drilled across the hole it threads into and back to the crankcase. Doing that lets debris from the filter well run into those threads, where they degrade the threads as the bolt is replaced. It's better to loosen all three bolts and remove the cover, catching the oil by the best means you can. That way, any debris the filter may have stopped will run out past the cover, and not down through the threads of the cover bolt.

• the go-devil

Posted June 06, 2005 - 01:04 AM

What tips have you learned to make it as smooth as possible??
for example...should I drain the chassis first before the crankcase or vice-versa?

I like to warm the bike up for about 3-4 minutes, tuck a paper towel in between the frame and the top of the engine guard, drain the frame first, with your trusty drain pan right up the by the drain hole cause the oil shoots out like gangbusters. Then I move on to the crankcase, let it drain till it's piddling,hold the engine kill button, hold the clutch in, and kick the engine over about 10 times. I've been able to get a little more oil out by doing this. Lately I've been watching exactly how much oil I put back in when I don't change the filter and it looks like 34 ounces gets it just right on the top mark on the dipstick.

• flintlock28

Posted June 06, 2005 - 01:47 AM

grayracer, that made the light bulb in my head come on..........thanks

thanks thrawn and the go-devil.........

• curtains23

Posted June 06, 2005 - 02:10 AM

I use a scotts filter, get into a routine change the oil every 7 hours running time and clean the filter with thinners or some other solvent plug the hole with a cork or something to stop any crap going inside the filter. I also filter the thinners through a
coffee filter to see whats going on inside the engine. (only because bearings and cranks are expensive)

• BlindSide

Posted June 06, 2005 - 02:41 AM

Oh yeah and there will be metal flakes in your oil. Seems like everyone asks that after there first oil change. I know I did.

Totally normal.

He bought it used. If there's metal flakes in your oil still....you should consider taking the bike back.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • curtains23

Posted June 06, 2005 - 05:56 AM

Me Too, 6 hours and I find metal flakes, ITS NORMAL

• BlindSide

Posted June 06, 2005 - 06:37 AM

The shavings should have been long gone after about the 3rd oil change. Let me ask a few questions.

Do you change your oil when it's hot ? (extremely hot)
How often do you change the oil?
...the filter ?

I've got magnetic plugs top & bottom, no shavings whatsoever...ever. Not being an ass, just saying, metal shavings flowing through my crankcase would be kinda unacceptable.

• grayracer513

Posted June 06, 2005 - 07:23 AM

The shavings should have been long gone after about the 3rd oil change. Let me ask a few questions.

I've got magnetic plugs top & bottom, no shavings whatsoever...ever. Not being an ass, just saying, metal shavings flowing through my crankcase would be kinda unacceptable.

In that case, you must be the gentlest individual ever to ride one of these, or, you simply haven't looked.

YZF's share their engine oil with the transmission and the clutch. If it were not for that the normal amount of metal shed one finds in them on an oil change would indeed be a concern, but as they are, it's totally normal. You should not be finding large quantities of really big flakes, of course, but you will find metal in your oil, and the thing to do is to watch out for a sudden increase in the amount or nature of it.

• Yamaguy4Life

Posted June 06, 2005 - 08:34 AM

Be real careful with the oil plug on the bottom of the crank case. It cross threads very easily. The first time that I changed the oil, I cross threaded it and had to retap. It sucked.

Just take your time, and if you have a frame guard, make sure that you've taken it off first. Even if it has a hole for the bottm drain plug.

• flintlock28

Posted June 06, 2005 - 10:02 AM

Thanks everyone for the replies....

Don

• MichiganMXer

Posted June 06, 2005 - 10:16 AM

Ask around here, its totally common and normal, at least on the 426's. I can change my oil after 1 ride or 5 and will find flakes.

Thrawn..Dude you should find flakes in your oil filter man but NOT in the oil your draining. IMO

EDIT: I think it also depends on the riding you do. I track ride. I'm sure if you trail ride some tight hilly single tracks you'd beat up on the clutch a lot more than I do. I just think the filter should grab 99% of it.

• BlindSide

Posted June 06, 2005 - 12:33 PM

I must be the greatest.

• grayracer513

Posted June 06, 2005 - 04:59 PM

Thrawn..Dude you should find flakes in your oil filter man but NOT in the oil your draining. IMO

EDIT: I think it also depends on the riding you do. I track ride. I'm sure if you trail ride some tight hilly single tracks you'd beat up on the clutch a lot more than I do. I just think the filter should grab 99% of it.

The filter should grab most of the metal debris out of the oil that's been through it. But bear in mind, the only oil that has been filtered is the oil in circulation. It's pulled in by the feed pump, filtered and sent to the lubed components, where it immediately gets dirty again before being collected by the return pump and sent back to the tank. So the fact is that 95% or so of your oil is unfiltered at any given moment.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

100 hrs on 2014 yz450f, shim valves or replace them? by ttr230rider6

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  79 replies
Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies
Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies
Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.