is it possible to fit an auto decomp to ayz400f?

6 replies to this topic
  • john-yz400f

Posted June 05, 2005 - 01:37 PM

[COLOR=Blue]undefined[/COLOR]hi does anyone know if i could fit a auto decomp to my yz400f and if so where could i buy such a part from any help would be very appreciated :)

• felony

Posted June 05, 2005 - 02:03 PM

you could buy the hot cams with the auto decomop or a yz450 cam would work too,look around on this forum

• Fastest1

Posted June 06, 2005 - 06:44 PM

Any Yamaha dealer. Exhaust cam only 03 450 and later.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • john-yz400f

Posted June 07, 2005 - 11:48 PM

will i have to modify anything to fit the 450 cam or will it just go straight on sorry if im sounding a bit stupid im new to the four stroke scene. thanks for the help.

• yz426rdr

Posted June 08, 2005 - 08:45 AM

I'm new to this site too, so I'll ask what might be another stupid question. I thought that I read in MXA or Dirt Bike magazine that the pitch of the teeth on the 450 cams were different than the 400/426, and that although the cam would work, it would cause premature wear of the cam chain and gears.

• yz_for_me

Posted June 08, 2005 - 10:03 AM

will i have to modify anything to fit the 450 cam or will it just go straight on sorry if im sounding a bit stupid im new to the four stroke scene. thanks for the help.

No, you don't have to make any modifications to the cam or the bike. The '03 450 cam will drop right in. However, you do have to readjust your exhaust valve clearances after installing the new cam. Also be aware that the timing marks on the 450 cam will not correspond to the timing marks on the 400/426 cam.

• yz_for_me

Posted June 08, 2005 - 10:13 AM

I'm new to this site too, so I'll ask what might be another stupid question. I thought that I read in MXA or Dirt Bike magazine that the pitch of the teeth on the 450 cams were different than the 400/426, and that although the cam would work, it would cause premature wear of the cam chain and gears.

It is true the pitch on the 450 cam sprocket is slightly different than the 400/426 cam. However, there have been ZERO reported cases of premature wear or any other problem for that matter, even from people who have hundreds of hours on their bikes with this mod. It is by far one of the best (if not the best) mod you can do for a 400/426.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.