XR650 uncorking problems--need help

2 replies to this topic
  • homerdog

Posted June 05, 2005 - 12:17 PM

Uncorked my almost new 2003 XR650R today. It was stock except it already had the spark arrester replaced with the new insert. I removed the two airbox parts, put in the new carb insulator, B53E needle with the clip in the #2 position from the top, #170 main jet, and #68s slow jet. Bike started fine but sputtered and missed. I pulled the carb again and put in a #175 main and moved the clip to the third position wich seems to be the setting most folks use. Bike still started easy but sputtered and missed as soon as I came on the throttle in all gears. I live at 1500 feet elevation. Don't know what to check now and don't want to put all the stock parts back on. Am going on a long trip in a coulpe of weeks and need to get this right. Thanks in advance,

Dave

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • homerdog

Posted June 05, 2005 - 01:02 PM

I figured it out. I had the choke lever in the wrong position. It runs like a champ now. Glad it was only a dumb mistake on my part and I'm happy I don't have to take the carb out again. The uncorking mods made a huge improvement.

• big t

Posted June 05, 2005 - 01:41 PM

Welcome to TT. Glad you figured it out.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

2015 XR650L Squeaking noise by Crayjay

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 3 replies
Forums
Photo

93 xr650l Restoration Project by Zigster

• 17 replies
Wiki
Want to add a kickstart to your XR650L?  Here's how - last post by clc3251

Want to add a kickstart to your XR650L? Here's how

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

Fell Off Trailer by usafxr

• Hot  43 replies
Forums
Photo

Engine Loping/Sputtering by tcaldwell

• 2 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.