OIL?

6 replies to this topic
  • Guest_Guest_*

Posted February 24, 2001 - 03:01 PM

Just need a hand determining what oil to use in my WR. I know it sounds stupid, but I have read that mobil 1 for cars is fine for the bike. This is my first change after breaking in the bike so I want to start it off right.

• Johnny_Knoxville

Posted February 24, 2001 - 03:27 PM

I've seemed to have pretty good luck with MOTUL oil on my air-cooled bikes,if you dont mind paying 5$ a quart.But then again I do'nt own a WR yet.

• Russ_P

Posted February 25, 2001 - 09:18 AM

eric1,
Check out the topic Which Oil. There is a link to an article about Motorcycle oils vs automotive oils. It is very interesting and goes to prove that you don't have to pay big bucks for oil to get the protection and performance we need. Go with a full synthetic like Mobile 1 but make sure the one you choose does not have any friction modifiers in it.

------------------
'00 WR 400
UNCORKED, YZ TIMED
SNORKEL & LID REMOVED
STOP TRIMMED

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Guest_Guest_*

Posted February 25, 2001 - 10:36 PM

Thanks guy's. I run Mobil 1 in my cars so I think that I will stick with it for the WR.

• Guest_Guest_*

Posted February 26, 2001 - 02:54 PM

I just change to Mobil 15W50 two oil changes ago. Had the bike in a 24hr ice race. On hour ten the oil breather tube froze and pluged up, ejecting the camcover seal. I stop, it was dark and I could not see anything wrong, Thought I finally blew the last of the packing out of the exhust drove hard for another hour, came in for gas, saw oil all over the side of the bike. Repalced the seal and refilled the oil. It took 1.4 liters to bring it back up. I was running extreamlly low!! I did not notice any difficulty shifting or hear any sounds. Started the bike back up and headed out again. I think I would have seriusly damaged the engine had I not been using synthetic. The stuff is so sticky. It is also great for cold starting because of the low pour point temp. I will not use anything else!

• fred

Posted February 26, 2001 - 03:17 PM

this mobil oil you guy's talk about, what is it exactly...

• Russ_P

Posted February 27, 2001 - 10:31 PM

Fred,
The oil we are refering to is Mobile 1 15/50
synthetic. It does not have friction modifiers in it so it is safe to use in your bike. If you want to learn more do a search in this site using Mobile 1 as your search topic. There has been alot of discussion in past posts on the topic.

Russ

------------------
'00 WR 400
UNCORKED, YZ TIMED
SNORKEL & LID REMOVED
STOP TRIMMED

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.