tell me what i did wrong

3 replies to this topic
  • myrph

Posted June 04, 2005 - 05:18 PM

03 wr 450
Drained the oil from crankcase, metal strainer on frame, and down where the line leads back into crankcase. Put 1.25 qt into crankcase.. Rode it around the yard for less than 5 min. Let it sit for 30 min.. Pulled dipstick and it overflows oil out the dipstick tube.. I am new to the 4 stroke.. A cr500 man at heart.. I need help.
By the way the manual says use an SG rated oil, anyone know what that means? I looked at the auto parts store as an alternative, and couldn't find any oil that was SG rated. I saw a bunch of guys use what seems to be regular automotive oil, and I'm pretty sure it's not rated for the bike. But appearently it must not matter, or bad stuff would be happening to their engine by now.. Right?
Chris :)

• RADRick

Posted June 04, 2005 - 07:27 PM

Why did you put 1.25 quarts in it when the manual calls for only 1.1 with a filter change? :) Did you drain the crankcase? It's not usually much, but that little bit and the excess you put in would be enough to cause an overflow.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Slowmotion426

Posted June 04, 2005 - 07:29 PM

You didn't hurt it. Just put less in next time.

• Math

Posted June 04, 2005 - 07:40 PM

Don't worry. Get your hands oily again... unscrew the drain plug till about a quarter pours out and readjust.

To adjust: put a little, stick check, put a little, stick check..... until oil marks right between min and max on the stick. Let the bike idle for a minute. Check again. If it's not OK, start over again and add some oil, stick check...

Do I need to tell you your bike should be on a ground that's about flat to check oil. :)

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.