Plate location for dual sport conversions

10 replies to this topic
  • Roll_it_on

Posted June 04, 2005 - 08:10 AM

I am interested in streamlining the rear of my 650R and was wondering if any of you have gotten away with mounting the plate on top of the rear fender instead of having it hang down under the back. Any hassles from the cops over this type of set up??

• qadsan

Posted June 04, 2005 - 08:55 AM

I think it will be hit and miss for you. We have a plated XR250R and I mounted the plate on top of the fender along with illegal turn signals, no horn, etc. I don't ride it on the street that often, but I've never had any problems and I've been passed by the fuzz as they rubbernecked at me. My 650R on the other hand is fully legal with high/low beam, legal turn signals, horn, the plate is hanging down and easy to read, etc, but I've been stopped on this bike twice now and hassled. Go figure :)

• vector6

Posted June 04, 2005 - 09:25 AM

did mine this way.. never a problem..
Posted Image

yes it's an L but you get the idea... :)

• XRoverall

Posted June 04, 2005 - 11:50 AM

My R is fully street legal (except for the tires) and I HAD a very cool looking bracket that hung below the fender. At WCTTR last weekend someone was asking me on Sunday if my XR was street legal and I said sure look at the plate. He asked what plate. I guess when I got off doing a water crossing it broke off. My new plate will be mounted directly to the fender.

• captb

Posted June 04, 2005 - 12:27 PM

Trimmed tag and mounted vertical on back of airbox, havn't had any problems, it's readable from behind.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • jws

Posted June 04, 2005 - 01:10 PM

no problems :)

Posted Image

• bork

Posted June 04, 2005 - 02:27 PM

I got stopped !!! My xr600r had plate on fender . Cop said too much angle and could not be read. Soon a back up cop came too . They were just trying to find something . Hear in Fl you dont have to have insurance and he asked to see insurance and I told him I dont have to . He dissagreed. Afer about a 1/2 hour they let me go. ( never checked knobs or my missing horn) No turn signals neither but not required. I think they were envyous. Since then I fold a big piece of rubber sheet in half as to ramp up angle and revitted every thing in place. I would send you a pix if I was smart enough to do so. Is that photo bucket free ? Any down sides? Why would any one offer a servce like that ? whats the catch ?

• vector6

Posted June 04, 2005 - 02:32 PM

#8 yes its free

• Dual_Dog

Posted June 04, 2005 - 05:21 PM

I am interested in streamlining the rear of my 650R and was wondering if any of you have gotten away with mounting the plate on top of the rear fender instead of having it hang down under the back. Any hassles from the cops over this type of set up??

Here's my "street bike" set up. I even took my mc license test at a CA DMV office with my bike like this and no one even noticed.

Unless the cops are really savy they won't bother you as long as you're obeying the law, at least when they're watching...
Posted Image

• MrShred

Posted June 04, 2005 - 09:53 PM

I think Qadsan's reply is right on. I had a female PD pull up & park while I was at an ATM with my mostly legal XR400, wearing my full Moose XCR colors! I thought I was cooked, but we had a brief friendly chat about the ride I had just done. Not a word about my bike. If a cop wants to hassle you, he will hassle you. Riding cool & having a reasonably quiet bike are the important factors you can control, IMHO.

Suggest you mount the plate where you want it. If you choose to mount it under the fender Four Strokes Only has a nice bracket for your bike. I have the XR400 version & it's beautifully made. Don't buy from FSO if you have to have it in 3 days, though, his turnaround is slow

• Roll_it_on

Posted June 05, 2005 - 08:21 AM

Thanks guys for the feedback it is much appreciated. I do remember one time passing a highway patrol car coming the other direction and I could see him give me a hard look and in my rearview mirror I could see him hit the brakes and then take off again and I assumed it was because he could see my plate in his rear view mirror and decided to move on. The fendor on the 650R is more flat and does not dip like my old 600 did which made it easy to be spoted. Thanks for the pictures and I think I will give it a try just like JWS did.

Related Content

Would a Young Scott Summers still be Competitive today on an XR600R? What would he ride to be competitive today? by Jayzonk

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  141 replies

What was your path to Beta? by officialhopsof

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Beta
  • Hot  79 replies

Post Apocalypse, ThumperTalk style! by Justin Pearson

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  35 replies

2015 XR650L Squeaking noise by Crayjay

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 3 replies

93 xr650l Restoration Project by Zigster

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 17 replies

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.