Judge when it is time to replace sprocket

4 replies to this topic
  • per_s

Posted June 04, 2005 - 03:39 AM

Do I replace it with the chain or can I judge it visually?

• DoctorRzed

Posted June 04, 2005 - 03:41 AM

what type of chain and what type sprockets?

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • curtains23

Posted June 04, 2005 - 04:01 AM

If you replace worn chain with new sprockets, sprockets will soon wear, If you replace worn sprockets with new chain, the chain will wear at an increased rate..Change them all together other wise it is false economy. If your buget will allow fit a high quality O ring it saves a lot of maintance and lasts a whole lot longer.

• RCannon

Posted June 04, 2005 - 04:42 AM

This method works fairly well. Go to your rear sproket. Grab the chain in the middle. Try to pull it away from the sproket. If you can see more than 1/2 a tooth, trash everything.

You can get better chain and sproket life by changing the front sproket about 1/2 wat through the cycle. I usually change my front at 6 months, the complete assembly yearly.

• grayracer513

Posted June 04, 2005 - 08:02 AM

Read my post, 6 down...

http://www.thumperta...74&parentpage=2

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.