Best rear tire size for xr650r.

4 replies to this topic
  • xdirtbikerx

Posted June 03, 2005 - 09:32 AM

Time for a new back tire. not sure if i should run the stock 110/100/18 or go with something wider. whats everyone else running and how do you like your setup? thanks,

• BrettJ

Posted June 03, 2005 - 04:30 PM

I run a 130 and I love it really good for sand, some people even run 150 but I think that might be a bit much, 130 suits my riding fine. I ride road, and trail.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • LotsOfBikes

Posted June 04, 2005 - 08:07 PM

The absolute best rear that I have found, in terms of wear, is the IRC VE-33. You can buy a 120/100-18, or just get what I do: 5.10-18. The 5.10-18 seems to have bigger knobbies than the 120/100-18.

With the IRC's, I put a new one on the back of my CR500 before a 100+ desert race. After the race, I Practice on it for around 300 miles in the weeks leading up to the next race.. I'd then take that tire off and put it on one of my Dual sports, and commute with it for at least 1000 miles before replacement with another used IRC..

Dunlops I've had to throw away aftrer a measly 100 mile desert race. They got rid of their one good tire, the K139 front.

• xdirtbikerx

Posted June 13, 2005 - 02:06 PM

I ended up with the Dunlop 606 120/90/18. after i mounted it up, i realized that i could have gone bigger, dont you hate that! I think with the 606 i should have gone AT LEAST! a 130, probally a 140. oh well, it did do a fine job this weekend at the sunfair dry lake out in joshua tree. there is sand there, plenty of rocky trails and hills, and some dirt. it seemed to perform pretty well, not to hot in the sand but i easiely climbed the sand hill there. it needs more knobs on the side of the tire. just my opinion. later, mike.

• Thummper

Posted June 15, 2005 - 12:47 PM

I run the IRC M5B 140.
It will last a good month of riding. App 200 miles
XR650R's eat tires even when your not on the gas..
If you are uncorked and have a Quicksilver pumper carb then break out the wallet.
LotsOfBikes :) is right
The IRC VE-33 is probably the best economical vs performance vs wear tire for this bike.

Related Content

XR650L super moto wheels by greggkklee

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • Hot  28 replies

Cle Elum Sunday 5/29: Looking for dual sport tips by TigerTanker

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   Northwest
  • Hot  32 replies

1993 XR600R rebuild by ove

• Hot  40 replies

What was your path to Beta? by officialhopsof

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Beta
  • Hot  79 replies

Fell Off Trailer by usafxr

• Hot  43 replies

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.