'03 WR450 Suspension Questions

4 replies to this topic
  • bg10459

Posted June 02, 2005 - 07:57 AM

I recently picked up an 03 WR450. I have done all the free mods and now I'm attacking the rear suspension. I'm a beginner rider, but I get around pretty good, as I'm told. I've been riding Mtn bikes aggresively for years. I weigh about 250 lbs without gear and have determined that a Race Tech 6.0 spring will probably be best. From my Mtn bike days, I understand pre-load and compression and rebound damping and have a good idea of what I want to do with them and the new spring. Please tell me if the following laymans explanation of the adjusters is correct:

High speed rebound damping - Top of shock reservoir, outer nut - clockwise = more damping or slower rebound.

Low speed rebound damping - Top of shock reservoir, inner screw - clockwise = more damping or slower rebound.

Comression damping - Bottom of shock - clockwise = more damping or stiffer compression.

Is there a high and low compression damping adjustment? The manual seems to leave out some of this info, or I am missing something.

Onto the jetting next. Thanks in advance.

• Bamster

Posted June 03, 2005 - 05:52 AM

High speed compression. Adjustment for desired stiffness when shock is compressed fast.
Low speed compression . Adjustment for desired stiffness when shock is compressed slow.
Rebound (bottom of shock) Adjustment for how fast the shock rebounds after compressed.
Here is a good video to help you adjust your sag after you have found the right spring.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • pjriss

Posted June 03, 2005 - 07:16 AM

You got the compression/rebound locations backward. Both compression adjustments are at the top of the shock, the rebound is at the bottom for the shock.

• bg10459

Posted June 03, 2005 - 09:50 AM

Great, thanks fellas. Is it the same on the forks? Compression on top, rebound on bottom?

• pjriss

Posted June 03, 2005 - 12:04 PM

The forks are opposite of the shock, rebound on top compression on the bottom.

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.