Stage 1 Hotcams in a 450?

5 replies to this topic
  • The_Blue_One

Posted June 01, 2005 - 07:38 PM

I'm looking for some feedback on the stage 1 cams. Anyone here running them? I'd like to keep the bottom and improve the mid to topend. It looks like these will provide exactly that :)

Thanks Guys
Bill :D

• ncmountainman

Posted June 02, 2005 - 06:36 AM

hey bill, i researched them and for the yz 450 hotcams(the specs are the same yz/wr) themselves stated minimal bottom end loss and significant mid-top gain. i didn't want any loss of bottom so that ended that. there are several other cam choices which i never did follow up. just look in the back of dirt rider and such. people our size need all the grunt we can get :) let us know how those aoss forks work on your WR. you also might consider send your stocker to dubach racing where he can modify it to any degree you want,1/2 yz ,3/4 yz or you can just try a yz cam?

• The_Blue_One

Posted June 02, 2005 - 07:27 AM

hey bill, i researched them and for the yz 450 hotcams(the specs are the same yz/wr) themselves stated minimal bottom end loss and significant mid-top gain. i didn't want any loss of bottom so that ended that. there are several other cam choices which i never did follow up. just look in the back of dirt rider and such. people our size need all the grunt we can get :worthy: let us know how those aoss forks work on your WR. you also might consider send your stocker to dubach racing where he can modify it to any degree you want,1/2 yz ,3/4 yz or you can just try a yz cam?

I'm going to call them and see what was done to the bike they used for their dyno. The loss at the bottom looks really small, but they don't provide much data at all. :) It looks to me that it maybe only 1hp for a 500rpm spread :)

I'm excited to give your Aoss forks a try :D I just sent them down to factory connection yesterday. I should have them back on Wednesday and will see how they stack up against the stockers on thursday. I couldn't believe i fit the forks,shock and a set of springs in that gun case :D

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • The_Blue_One

Posted June 10, 2005 - 06:13 PM

Well i went for it :) I bought the intake and exhaust cams form the TT store. I have them installed and everything is running :D I'll have a ride report in a couple days :)

I also got my Aoss forks back from Factory Connection. I'll give a ride report on them also :D

• Birdie426

Posted June 10, 2005 - 09:56 PM

I can't say for sure on the four-fiddies, but on my four-twenty-six, the loss in bottom end from the hotcams (if there was one) was imperceptable. The increase in upper midrange to the big end, however, was huge!

• The_Blue_One

Posted June 13, 2005 - 07:53 AM

I can't say for sure on the four-fiddies, but on my four-twenty-six, the loss in bottom end from the hotcams (if there was one) was imperceptable. The increase in upper midrange to the big end, however, was huge!

The mid/topend gain was HUGE :) I did notice the difference in the bottom end though. I had to use the clutch to get the revs back up into the power. I'm going to try a 51/52 rear sprocket and see if it helps.

If i rode more open trails or the desert the cams would be perfect. They may not be the best choice for tight woods though. I'm gonna go out today and try it with the gearing changes. If i still think the bottom suffers.I'll be selling the cams off. :)

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.