BRP valve seats out of the head???

8 replies to this topic
  • indy16

Posted June 01, 2005 - 02:18 PM

Anyone ever heard of this? My 01 xr 650L went down about a month ago with no compression. Today the mech at the Honda dealership tells me "the valve seats came out of the head."

He/ they have never seen this one before and its gonna cost me $1500 to rebuild the head?

What to do?

the bike has 14000 on the clock but it hasn't been abused (ive had it one year and put 1500 on it my self)

It doesnt have any major mods on it (KN filter and uncorked the exhaust)
I bought a Honda to avoid major probs like this one. They're supposed to be so reliable and all.

What gives? :)

• August

Posted June 01, 2005 - 02:42 PM

$1500?? That is ridiculous, I think you can get a whole new head from Honda for under $400!!

• XR250rdr

Posted June 01, 2005 - 03:03 PM

Once upon a time I heard of the valve guides coming out, but not the seats. $1500 is ridiculous. I cant believe the dealer didnt want to just outright replace the head.

• panaceabeachbum

Posted June 01, 2005 - 03:17 PM

bikebandit.com list the head for $516, I found a motor kit ( engine, carbs electronics) a few months ago for $900

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • captb

Posted June 01, 2005 - 03:40 PM

Must have got real hot at some point, maybe to lean.

• frankstr

Posted June 01, 2005 - 05:56 PM

Must have got real hot at some point, maybe to lean.

Thats what I think, Got hot and the seats got loose and then fell out..... :)
1500 is pretty extreme to rebuild a cylinder head..... :D
Probly not much more and get a complete eng.... :)

• indy16

Posted June 02, 2005 - 01:40 PM

Rebuild? Replace? Who can remember? I was still in shock from the news when he started to explain it all. I just remember it was all bad news.

He did call Honda NA and they have actually had this happen before (acc. to the mech). I am hoping and praying that they may at least make a good will offer to help me out.

I can't stand the thought of not having the thumper around, and I just bought my kid a 70 so we could ride together!

• panaceabeachbum

Posted June 02, 2005 - 07:07 PM

Talked to a friendly honda tech today, his thoughts were severe overheating or peening from extended overreving. his standard for 4 stroke top end job is 3 hrs teardown and cleanup +3hrs reassembly and test run X 65 hr plus parts. his estimate off the top was aprox $1000 with a new head, valves, and springs . Might consider taking it home and buying the service manual , its really not that hard to replace the head yourself and then you'll know your steed inside and out and save some bucks too.

• honda500

Posted June 03, 2005 - 05:12 PM

the honda place told quoted me a price of 700 bucks for a new head for my 83 xr500. it's the same head right, if so where you get the 400 dollar price from.

Related Content

Reviews

Honda XR650L 2016 by Chris.GVS

Honda XR650L 2016
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo
Supercross

Supercross Preview 2017 Part 1: Championship Contenders by Chris Cooksey

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  132 replies
Forums
Photo

93 xr650l Restoration Project by Zigster

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 17 replies
Forums
Photo

XR650L super moto wheels by greggkklee

• Hot  28 replies
Forums
Photo

2015 XR650L Squeaking noise by Crayjay

• 3 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.