88 XR600 - Low speed sputter

1 reply to this topic
  • The Hill Boys

Posted June 01, 2005 - 01:42 PM

I've got a 1988 XR600 that I purchased a few months ago. I bought it in Phoenix (ele 1500 ft) and brought it home to Flagstaff (ele 7000 ft). As soon as I got it home, very difficult to start. It had a 175 main, needle second to the bottom, 60 pilot. It has gutted air box, aftermarket exhaust. Anyway, took carb apart, cleaned it, moved the clip to middle, and went down to a 165 main. It started right up ( :) :D ), but sputters in the 1/8 - 1/4 throttle range (especially low speed crusing in second gear). I've moved the clip up, down, changed pilot (58), adjusted pilot screw, checked value clearance, blah blah blah. I can't seem to get it to not sputter. Plus it seems to still be running rich (some black exhaust, heavy smell to exhaust, black plug). Any advise before I break down and take it to the shop? Thanks

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • vector6

Posted June 01, 2005 - 01:53 PM

probably still to rich for your altitude.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

DirttyPig 2005 Xr650l Prroject! by braapmebb1moretime

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 22 replies
Forums
Photo

Wiseco 101MM Spark Knock Low Engine Temps by imandrewparks

• 8 replies
Reviews

Honda XR650L 2016 by Chris.GVS

Honda XR650L 2016
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

ignitech programmable XR650L CDI by brianhare

• Hot  60 replies
Forums
Photo

Engine Loping/Sputtering by tcaldwell

• 2 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.