Replace rear sprocket bolts?

9 replies to this topic
  • PapaSmurf

Posted June 01, 2005 - 01:31 PM

Hi all! I'm putting new sprockets and a chain on my WR400 and was wondering if I should use new nuts and bolts on the rear sprocket? :) The manual doesn't mention anything- just wondering what anyone recommends. Thanks!! :D
Rich

• drewpeacock

Posted June 01, 2005 - 01:38 PM

It is a good idea to replace bolts with new ones and use lock tite on them. I've had them strech/loosen on the trail and when it came loose it ruined my rear hub and broke my engine case. :) Wish I would've spent the extra $15 on new bolts.

• lewichris

Posted June 01, 2005 - 08:02 PM

I have probably 4000 miles on my wr 400, I still have the stock bolts with the exception of a couple that had fa len out. So i dont think that you should or you ahve to do it every time. But i would use locktite for sure, and carry a couple spares for the trail! :)

• lewichris

Posted June 01, 2005 - 08:04 PM

It is a good idea to replace bolts with new ones and use lock tite on them. I've had them strech/loosen on the trail and when it came loose it ruined my rear hub and broke my engine case. :D Wish I would've spent the extra $15 on new bolts.

would have to see that one to believe it :)

• kirkw

Posted June 02, 2005 - 04:23 PM

As I understand it, the bolts are slightly oval when new. Once they are used, their effectiveness at locking on decreases. I did not replace them on my first change and used lots of blue loctite. Still tight and holding up after about 350 miles. Have heard of many ruined hubs dues to the bolts though. If you dont mind checking each time you ride then reuse.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • drewpeacock

Posted June 02, 2005 - 04:37 PM

would have to see that one to believe it :D

:) :D :) You really need a picture of a broken hub and a hole in the case to believe me what happened when the sprocket bolts came loose?

• endurodog

Posted June 02, 2005 - 05:50 PM

I have seen it happen twice to my own bikes. No picture need here.

Some rules on those bolts. Once they become loose replace them. Never over torq them. Both of those things will stretch them and once they are fatigued that way you will never be able to keep them tight, hence my 2 broken hubs and several buddies. Finally loctite them when installing.

• PapaSmurf

Posted June 03, 2005 - 05:12 AM

Thanks for the info guys. I'll be changing them tomorrow and will see what the bolts look like. It's the original sprocket and none of the bolts has ever loosened up. Guess I'll just take a real good look at the threads and if they look good then I'll use them (and red Loctite :) ). There isn't one dealer I've called that has them in stock! :D
Thanks again :)
Rich

• Dan_Lorenze

Posted June 03, 2005 - 05:57 AM

I've never had the rear sprocket come loose on any of my WRs. It does happen though, I can remember on a couple of my CR250s it happened to, I always just retorqued them using loctite.. I've never broken a hub.. Now that I read Edog's post I think it's worth looking more into.

Dan

• R_Little

Posted June 03, 2005 - 07:45 AM

If you ever find one of them loose, you'd better replace them.

That means they have stretched and will break.

If they are tight and have always been tight then you should be okay.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.