Which Cam for the Mod

17 replies to this topic
  • TIGER44

Posted June 01, 2005 - 08:19 AM

I am about to order the 450 exhaust cam and was just wondering which brand is the best. I have heard good and bad about hot cams but not a whole lot on ordering directly from yamaha. I will be doing this mod on a '02 426. Are there any other dealers that sell something different than the hot cam.

• Dolce_Grappa

Posted June 01, 2005 - 08:38 AM

For the money the stock Yz-450 cam is cheaper, and no one has complained or mentioned any problems with using it. I've used Hot Cams in both my 426 and my 450 with zero problems. What problems have you heard about the Hot Cams?

• grayracer513

Posted June 01, 2005 - 08:42 AM

Yamaha. According to several, the 450 cam produces a very wide, flat power curve when used in the 426.

• TIGER44

Posted June 01, 2005 - 09:05 AM

I also just called a motorcycle mechanic who said he would install the cam for $70. Is it worth this or should I put it in myself. The money thing didn't bother me but he said it would take a week to get to it.

• Dolce_Grappa

Posted June 01, 2005 - 09:22 AM

If you have to ask the question, you may want the mechanic to install it for you. It's not hard, but you'll need tools and know-how. I'm not trying to be negative, but if you've never did a cam before it could be a costly experience.

• 02YZ426

Posted June 01, 2005 - 01:40 PM

I went with the HotCams only because I couldnt be bothered to screw around with improper timing marks, but if you want to save a few bucks then go with the yamaha cam. If your having your mechanic install it anyhow the timing marks wont much matter to you.

• 642MX

Posted June 01, 2005 - 03:33 PM

I've got the Hot Cams, but you really need to buy both cams to really feel the performance difference. Installation is a snap, be prepared to buy some shims, and a quality inch pound torque wrench.

• yz_for_me

Posted June 01, 2005 - 03:49 PM

I would recommend the Yamaha cam. It costs less, improves the power of the 426 (in most people's opinion) and has zero reported problems. I really can't see any good reason for going with the Hot Cams setup.

As far as doing it yourself or having a mechanic do it, I would say if you are an average mechanic with the right tools, you should have no trouble. It's really not very hard for anyone with the right tools and an average mechanical aptitude. If you are unsure, I would look through the owner's manual and make sure you understand and are comfortable with the procedure for removing and installing the cams. When it comes time to do it regardless of who does it (you or a mechanic) I would make sure to follow the instructions in the cam installation PDF. It is very helpfull. Here's a link to the PDF. PDF Link

Good Luck!

• 02YZ426

Posted June 01, 2005 - 04:10 PM

I would recommend the Yamaha cam. It costs less, improves the power of the 426 (in most people's opinion) and has zero reported problems. I really can't see any good reason for going with the Hot Cams setup.

I agree........except that if he does install it himself the HotCam is much easier to set up, being that the timing marks are spot on unlike the 450 cam. What it really comes down to is wether $$ is an issue since the HotCam is a bit overpriced in comparison.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Scotty426

Posted June 01, 2005 - 07:43 PM

I went hotcams because, though I want decompression function now, I always want more power later, be it my car, my truck, my bike or my blender. With hotcams, I can buy the intake later for a mild boost. Would the 450 intake cam improve it? I don't know. I thought the sprocket was smaller also. No problem with just he exhaust, but with both, I don't know. I think the 450 has a smaller chain (less links). This is partly due to a shorter cylinder head. The hotcams give a whisker more lift If I'm not mistaken. I don't fault a guy for going either way. Both cams have produced only happy owners from what I have seen. Good luck and safe riding.

• Satch0922

Posted June 02, 2005 - 10:30 AM

I would say the Yamaha cam. Installation is easy (even without timing marks), it's cheaper and the change in power is sweet. :) :D

• TIGER44

Posted June 02, 2005 - 11:37 AM

Thanks for all the replys. I did order a Yamaha cam that was just over $100. Got pricing on the hot cam anywhere from $175 to over$200. Can't wait, still don't know about the installation yet. Going into the guts of the motor is a little scary.

• grayracer513

Posted June 02, 2005 - 04:09 PM

Here's a tip to make the timing of the OEM 450 cam a little simpler.

As mentioned the original timing mark on the 450 cam won't line up with the gasket flange on the head the way it was intended to because several thing about the two heads are different.

You need to set up the timing on the intake cam first, and then, with one mark on the exhaust cam at 9:00 and one at 12:00, there should 14 chain pins between the 12:00 mark on both cams. This can get tricky, because the chain on the exhaust side has to be tight, slack on the intake side, when you check the timing.

So, here's the tip. Your cams are currently timed right, no? Then zip-tie the chain to the intake sprocket before you remove the old exhaust cam. Then all you have to do is count 14 pins and drop the new one in. Double check both cams before you close it up, check your valve clearances, and you're done. :)

• Satch0922

Posted June 02, 2005 - 04:47 PM

Excellent advice GrayRacer....where the heck were you in June 2003 when I need you? LOL

• 642MX

Posted June 02, 2005 - 05:24 PM

Here's a tip to make the timing of the OEM 450 cam a little simpler.

As mentioned the original timing mark on the 450 cam won't line up with the gasket flange on the head the way it was intended to because several thing about the two heads are different.

You need to set up the timing on the intake cam first, and then, with one mark on the exhaust cam at 9:00 and one at 12:00, there should 14 chain pins between the 12:00 mark on both cams. This can get tricky, because the chain on the exhaust side has to be tight, slack on the intake side, when you check the timing.

So, here's the tip. Your cams are currently timed right, no? Then zip-tie the chain to the intake sprocket before you remove the old exhaust cam. Then all you have to do is count 14 pins and drop the new one in. Double check both cams before you close it up, check your valve clearances, and you're done. :)

I have a question... Would a 426 that has the 450 cam timed like a 450 (using the 450 cam timing marks) run correctly or at all?

• Satch0922

Posted June 02, 2005 - 05:33 PM

I have a question... Would a 426 that has the 450 cam timed like a 450 (using the 450 cam timing marks) run correctly or at all?

I got this one Gray Racer...it's an easy one......NO !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• 642MX

Posted June 02, 2005 - 05:43 PM

Thanks Satch..... I just wanted to make sure....Thanks for the quick reply! :)

• Birdie426

Posted June 06, 2005 - 10:03 PM

I have ridden both the Yamaha cam'd bike and my WR with Hot Cams (both intake and exhaust)...There is no perceptible difference on the bottom to the mid range in power...but when you get to the big end of the powerband, there is no comparrison! The hotcams make more power hands down. For what it's worth, I picked up my HotCams on e-Bay for $235.00 for the pair.

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.