Small brake light for xr650r? any available?

I have a 01 xr650r with the baja designs street legal kit on it. its sweet exsept for the tail light. they use a nice light under the fender with a bracket for the license plate below it. only its to heavy, is there any kit or some way to convert the stock light on my bike to a dual filiment bulb? or if someone makes a replacement lens conversion. i would love to mount the license to the back top of the fender, and just use the stock tail light as a brake light/runing light. someone out there has got to know something about doing this. thanks, mike

I have a 01 xr650r with the baja designs street legal kit on it. its sweet exsept for the tail light. they use a nice light under the fender with a bracket for the license plate below it. only its to heavy, is there any kit or some way to convert the stock light on my bike to a dual filiment bulb? or if someone makes a replacement lens conversion. i would love to mount the license to the back top of the fender, and just use the stock tail light as a brake light/runing light. someone out there has got to know something about doing this. thanks, mike

18717426-L.jpg

You mean like this ?

I got a side marker bulb and socket at the auto parts and trimmed it down and piggybacked it on the existing stock bulb, works great, about 5 bucks. Had the same setup in my XR600Rs for years with the same bulb.

Yes like that :D

Is there a write up?

No. But............ :D

I just jammed the B/D bulb and socket under the OEM lens.

And I did that with just 2 beer. Actually, you can still see the stainless fasteners...... the remnants of the original B/D install.

Sure I could go LED but I'm old fashioned. ?

As for the plate.... well......... ?

I have a 650L and wanted a smaller look too, so I bought an acerbis cover off of ebay. It had two 7w bulbs in it that were pretty useless.

I went to a bike shop and bought a set of dual filament blinker/ running lights for a sport bike, cannibalized it, fitted the dual filament socket into the acerbis cover and after a little tweaking it works.

I even fashioned a reflector / shield out of an aluminum can to help direct the light behind me. It also fives a little more protection against interior water since there isn't a good seal on the fender.

Hope it helps