Best DOT approved knobby pirelli, dunlop?

21 replies to this topic
  • xdirtbikerx

Posted May 31, 2005 - 02:57 PM

Anyone have any feedback on the best dot approved knobby for a xr650? the Pirelli mt18 looks pretty good and i would think it would be the best, but the dunlop d606 looks not to bad either.
Second question would be the size. stock rear is a 110/100/18. and the front is 80/100/21. would a larger tire both front and rear yield any handeling benefits? appriciate anyone with experience with either of these questions i would really appriciate some feedback. thanks, mike.

• MudPa

Posted May 31, 2005 - 03:00 PM

I had pirelli MT21's on my '79 XT 500. Best dot tire I ever rode on.

• jws

Posted May 31, 2005 - 05:32 PM

I had pirelli MT21's Best dot tire I ever rode on.

Me too - I liked them better than the 606 :)

• xdirtbikerx

Posted June 01, 2005 - 08:06 AM

thanks for the replys, think i will go with the pirelli. the mt18 looks like a motocross tire, dont know how they got a dot rating for that tire. good for the dual sport riders. thanks, mike.

• XR650L_Dave

Posted June 01, 2005 - 08:36 AM

What, no vote for the terrorflex?

Not always the best mannered, but no doubt the traction king!

• jlpskydive

Posted June 01, 2005 - 08:42 AM

What no votes for the Kenda TrackmasterII??? Good all around and cheap as dirt.

Posted June 01, 2005 - 04:29 PM

I have run the 606, mt21, Teraflex and the kenda trakmaster II. No doubt in my opinion, the flex and kenda win. Although the Flex is more impressive to showoff.

• Xr650LMartin

Posted June 01, 2005 - 05:26 PM

I'm very happy with my kenda Trakmaster!! :) :D but NOISY on the street!!! :)

• zackm58941

Posted June 01, 2005 - 08:03 PM

I run MT21's on my 650l and have had them on since the first week I had the bike. I now have almost 1,900 miles and the rear tire is still great and front is like new. I did more street riding this year too, pretty happy with them. Go for the 140 rear tire!

• CAM2R

Posted June 01, 2005 - 09:48 PM

I've got a stack of tires to review as rides permit - now I just need some more wheels to mount 'em all up...

From Left to right: Dunlop 755F = 80/100-21 (off HWY) -- Dunlop 756 = 110/100-18 (off HWY) -- Michelin Enduro Competition IV = 90/90-21 DOT -- Michelin Baja 140/80-18 DOT --Avon Distenzia 90/90-21 DOT -- Avon Distenzia 120/80-18 DOT
My goal was aggessive dirt with a DOT and Aggressive street DOT - I'm not shooting for any middle ground with these choices that's why I want another set of wheels to keep swap times down to minutes. The Dunlops are what I run in the dirt right now.

Posted Image

and the closer look at the Enduro Comp - remember this is a DOT tire - looks like an S-12 in a harder compound.

Posted Image

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • SaltyWalrus

Posted June 02, 2005 - 03:38 AM

I like the Kenda's for a DOT dirt tire. Only complaint is lack of traction on rocks. Must be the harder compound used for "some" street duribility. But if I have to climb a large, smooth rock ledge, I treat it like ice. That is what it feels like with the Trackmaster II. Other than that, I like the tire. It is loud on the road.

• xdirtbikerx

Posted June 07, 2005 - 10:48 AM

That enduro comp is one mean looking tire. if that is dot rated i might try it out.

• xdirtbikerx

Posted June 09, 2005 - 10:39 AM

After all this i end up with a dunlop 606, go figuer. well this weekend i will try it out at sunfair dry lake. i'll let you know how it worked.

• justicedone

Posted June 09, 2005 - 10:58 AM

I am mad in love with my raises the bikes height which sorta sucks for us 6ft or lower peeps, but it works like a monster off road and hooks fine for the street as well.

• skyriver

Posted June 09, 2005 - 11:32 AM

What? Didn't hear that. Sorry, ears are still ringing from my Trakmasters on the pavement. Ha!

• GIANTac1

Posted June 09, 2005 - 07:13 PM

Hey skyriver,
Where are you located at in wa.? I will be beck up there(Seattle area) in september.

• Max Power

Posted June 09, 2005 - 07:45 PM

What? Didn't hear that. Sorry, ears are still ringing from my Trakmasters on the pavement. Ha!

I love my Trackmaster. :)

• skyriver

Posted June 09, 2005 - 08:39 PM

I'm in the big city of Covington. Not sure if you're familiar with it.... It's between Kent and Maple Valley. I just got back on 2 wheels after a break that was WAY too long. Haven't broke the pig or myself yet, but already have a few guys that are good ridin buddies. Give me a shout when/if you're up here and we can take you out. This is all on the condition you're not a nutjob. lol!

• GIANTac1

Posted June 09, 2005 - 09:07 PM

Im a nut job, sorry dude...... Still wanna go riding? Yup, Ill be up there in mid september. I wouldnt mind packing some fishing poles around either. You like hookin into some salmon/trout?

• bierfasser

Posted June 09, 2005 - 09:10 PM

best DOT approved, i didnt know there was such a thing. kenda has a good one though, so i have heard anyway. theirs is the K270

Related Content

Which thumper motor for a street tracker? by woz

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • * * * * -
  • Hot  29 replies

Engine Loping/Sputtering by tcaldwell

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 2 replies

Post Apocalypse, ThumperTalk style! by Justin Pearson

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  35 replies

ignitech programmable XR650L CDI by brianhare

• Hot  47 replies

FCR40 Tuning Woes- XR600R by aTuWitty

• Hot  37 replies

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.