CRF600X sneak peak?

55 replies to this topic
  • mikekay

Posted May 31, 2005 - 01:31 PM

http://www.cyclenews...HeadlineID=7673

saw this pic and started thinking about stuff....put 2 and 2 together. yeah it might not be...but maybe it is?

• frogman

Posted May 31, 2005 - 01:37 PM

No.

Just testing exhausts.

• mikekay

Posted May 31, 2005 - 01:48 PM

beefy sub frame... dirtstar rims? 8 guage spokes?

Honda played around with dual exhausts on the 650R for awhile...hard to believe 3+ years into things they start to play around with dual exhausts on the 450R...but for sure thats most likely what it is....still---this is what i would expect the CRF600 to look like...

• frogman

Posted May 31, 2005 - 01:54 PM

cost twice as much for aftermarket pipes???

• Supplicate

Posted May 31, 2005 - 01:56 PM

my only question is, if they actually make a CRF600, are they going to just throw XR reliability out the window and plauge it with the trademark CRF valve issues?

• frogman

Posted May 31, 2005 - 02:03 PM

Its like,
do you want it light, or do you want it reliable?

• Supplicate

Posted May 31, 2005 - 02:14 PM

reliability trumps all.

• BrettJ

Posted May 31, 2005 - 04:21 PM

I do agree with what you have said, i'm not marketing director but I don't believe honda should have dropped the XR range and replaced it with the CRX range. The two bikes are so different. Honda now have no bike that is truely suitable for the occasional knock around the bush. "The new cr450x piston must be replaced every 50 hours" - I'm sure this is a great new xr400 replacement. Yamaha kept the TTR range and Honda should have kept the xr range

• huntmaster

Posted June 01, 2005 - 10:28 AM

my only question is, if they actually make a CRF600, are they going to just throw XR reliability out the window and plauge it with the trademark CRF valve issues?

Like the current 650R, a CRF600 won't need to be as highly stressed or spin a gazzillion revs to make the power of the 450's. There's no replacement for displacement when it comes to having power AND reliability. A similarly tuned 75 hp 600 would be nearly unridable and would require a full time tire technicien to come with the bike! A big motor avoids the issue of having to make a 450 mx-based bike reliable, as it won't need to to make a lot more power then one, but with way more cubes! Look for an engine probably not a LOT more powerful then the current 650R or CRF450 at around 50+ hp. But with the torque (and hopefully reliability) of the 650 in perhaps a lighter more compact package.

For off-roaders who need not be burderend with MX-based displacement limits, it would be the best of both worlds...old XR durability and reliability with newer racing fourstoke type performance (without their fragility) PLUS torque. It would be like no other off-road bike currently offered and could certainly develop a following. :)

• SMOKE

Posted June 01, 2005 - 12:35 PM

why are they going to go to a 600 and not a 650???

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • huntmaster

Posted June 03, 2005 - 05:53 AM

why are they going to go to a 600 and not a 650???

Well, it might finally avoid some confusion when the Honda Marketing types inevitably rename the dualsport XR650 L (formerly XL's) as a "CRF" model to add some "sizzle" to the package along with some obligatory BNG!

• Triumphs

Posted June 04, 2005 - 07:58 AM

Honda now have no bike that is truely suitable for the occasional knock around the bush. "The new cr450x piston must be replaced every 50 hours" - I'm sure this is a great new xr400 replacement. Yamaha kept the TTR range and Honda should have kept the xr range

That seemed strange to me too. Honda is usually pretty savy in the marketing department and didn't get where they are for no reason...but they really seemed to miss the mark here. Perhaps they got so focussed on the sex appeal of the race-based designs that they have overlooked an entire market segment?

• KAS

Posted June 05, 2005 - 12:48 PM

Thats the business end of a prototype CRF250. They've been testing dual-muffler setups on that bike to keep noise down and power up.

And yes, it was stupid to get rid of the XR 250 & 400. For a lotta people, those were the perfect bikes.

• PowerCell

Posted June 05, 2005 - 02:50 PM

Note the 2 different sized exhaust outlets...

• mikekay

Posted June 07, 2005 - 12:32 PM

Yeah i wondered about the noise thing also.

With noise requirements getting more and more importance-dual pipes with dual cans might be one way to keep flow and reduce noise.

totally agree about dropping the XR 250/400 and soon the 650. Honda is now 3 years behind KTM, Yamaha, and Husky-building the same kind of bike.

What most riders really wanted was a XR440 with a pumper carb, modern suspension, and electric start. Super reliable, fast enough, fun and cheap to build. Make it dual sported like the DRZ400 and it would have been Hondas best selling motorcycle...

:)

• stonewall

Posted June 07, 2005 - 12:53 PM

What most riders really wanted was a XR440 with a pumper carb, modern suspension, and electric start. Super reliable, fast enough, fun and cheap to build.

That's exactly what I was waiting on even though I knew it would likely never happen. I'm getting old, I couldn't wait any longer. :)

• Jayzonk

Posted June 07, 2005 - 06:56 PM

As far as the marketing goes, Honda could probably get away with rebranding the XR650R as an XRF650, and keep everything the same - the average consumer isn't going to be able to understand the technical differences anyway - but Honda can paint a broad enough picture to make people think that the XRF is similar enough to the CRF line that it might sell well. Eg. focus on high output four-stroke with liquid cooling. Throw on an inverted fork with the plastic covers, change the rad guards, lighten the red paint, put on the CRF450X front light/number plate, and there you have it! And the true XR guys still know its our beloved XR650R!! Does this sound reasonable? How do we contact Honda to let them know we don't want them to kill the R??
Honda has really let go of trying to market the R, and I think it's a shame. It's a great bike, but Honda is just pushing their cutting edge CRF's first, when they could be exploiting the Johnny Campbell/Baja legend to sell XR's. There's no reason why it wouldn't work! If XR sales are slumping, it's only because Honda isn't putting the effort into XR sales.

• BWB63

Posted June 07, 2005 - 09:20 PM

The bottom line is; time is running out for the XR650R. It won't be long and one of the other makers are going to build a better desert racer or a better race team. Team Honda isn't getting any younger and KTM is getting serious about winning the Baja races. I love the XR650R but, it's time (past time) to come out with a much lighter bike with the same reliability, power/torque, to keep the winning edge.

#1 Reliability! No crazy Titanium valves. Roller rockers, yes! No thin gears (like KTM) FRC41 flat slide carburetor.

#2 Suspension and handling. Don't need inverted forks but, it does need better suspension (CR500 shock) and setup for a heavier rider..

#3 Engine! It's got to have more horsepower & torque. Two quarts of oil. Tranny has to be bullet proof!

#4 Lighter frame, like the burg's and don't forget a working starter. They need to get a working starter/stator setup.

257 pounds dry weight?? (or lighter)

60bhp??

48hp & 42fpt rear wheel??

A real light and can get a plate in California! I'll buy it :)

• XR/CRDave

Posted June 08, 2005 - 11:18 AM

If sales are low on the 650R model rather than dropping it I think Honda should drop the XR650L and come up with a XR650R (L) that is streel legal, w/ electric start. Diehard 650R riders can still run them offroad and L riders will have a more modern enduro model. Then to keep up with the other manufactures Honda should develop the CRF6_ _X that we have been asking for; lighter, faster, electric start, etc... Makes sense to me.

• SaltyWalrus

Posted June 08, 2005 - 11:42 AM

That seemed strange to me too. Honda is usually pretty savy in the marketing department and didn't get where they are for no reason...but they really seemed to miss the mark here. Perhaps they got so focussed on the sex appeal of the race-based designs that they have overlooked an entire market segment?

I agree that Honda is missing a market segment if/when they abandon the XR line, but look at it from their perspective. They have sold more CR450F's than any bike in history. It makes sense that they expand that product line building on that success. If they stop making the XR's and the CRF's reliability is a problem, there are other manufacturers out there that make some pretty sweet bikes. KTM, Husky... and just give KTM another year to work the all the kinks out of Husaberg!!! Not to mention the WR450 like Stonewall picked up and Suzuki's off road 450 to come.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

XR650L super moto wheels by greggkklee

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • Hot  28 replies
Wiki
Want to add a kickstart to your XR650L?  Here's how - last post by clc3251

Want to add a kickstart to your XR650L? Here's how

Articles
  • 0 replies
Reviews

Honda XR650L 2017 by Chris.GVS

Honda XR650L 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

Engine Loping/Sputtering by tcaldwell

• 2 replies
Forums
Photo

ignitech programmable XR650L CDI by brianhare

• Hot  60 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.