03 WR 450 headers

12 replies to this topic
  • Guest_meeyz_*

Posted May 31, 2005 - 11:45 AM

I have some ding and dents in my header(some mine some previous owner). I was thinking of getting a new one, not sure what kind. I have a Power Core 4 muffler, I'd prefer to keep, to save $. Any suggestions or preferences?

FMF Power Bomb- Is it worth it? Any jetting changes needed? Or should I go with something similar to stock?

Thanks guys!! :)

• JTWR450

Posted May 31, 2005 - 12:03 PM

If you keep the same header there will be no need to re-jet. Switch to a new header and I would think you will have to re-jet, then again I could be VERY wrong on that. FMF makes the header piece that matches up with your muffler section. I would think that would be the ticket; match the pipe up as they were designed to work together.

• vmxr

Posted May 31, 2005 - 12:51 PM

I replaced the stock header and muffler on my 03 450 with the FMF Q and Power Bomb header and used the jetting on FMF's website. I had to drop one size on the pilot from their recommendations, but their specs were for sea level and I'm at 2000 ft. Maybe the altitude was the difference.

Maybe the specs on the FMF website will give you a rough idea on what to expect jetting-wise.

FWIW, I really like the FMF Q/PB setup.

• Guest_meeyz_*

Posted June 05, 2005 - 01:18 PM

Anybody else? :)

• stoo

Posted June 05, 2005 - 05:21 PM

I had a FMF powerbomb on my XR650R until it fell apart.

I also had an FMF can fall apart on me.

And have heard quite a few reports of the same on other folk's bikes - although not so much recently. Maybe they've got their build quality issues sorted out, or maybe all the guys I know that were bitten before have all bought Akrapovic now. :)

• AUS_WR450

Posted June 08, 2005 - 02:08 AM

I have a wr450 with a Powercore4 muffler. I changed the header to a Powerbomb SX, in an effort to reduce the noise and get more bottom end. I didn't notice any difference. It wasn't worth the expense in my opinion. :)

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • mtrablue

Posted June 08, 2005 - 03:12 PM

ebays a good place to find a stock one. the gytr catalog has a stainless one for about $125.

• Indy_WR450

Posted June 08, 2005 - 04:54 PM

FMF Powerbomb SX SS model is real tough and lasts a good long time on our bikes! :)

• BEAN329

Posted June 09, 2005 - 07:46 PM

I too have a SS PB header, very durable. :)

• Standman

Posted June 10, 2005 - 05:43 AM

:) Take the header off. Take 2 rags and get the wet stuff one in one end of the header. Tape it up real good with duct tape (make sure it's sealed) fill it with water. You have to put your hand over the open end and turn the header upside down a couple of times to get the air out. When all of the air is out, Wet the other rag. Make sure that the header is full of water. Stuff the other rag in the open end of the header. Tape it up real well. Use allot of tape. Then place it in the freezer overnight. This will get the large dents out (for large dents you mat have to repeat everything twice) and most of the small dings out. If anything it makes a good spare header.

• drewpeacock

Posted June 10, 2005 - 02:40 PM

:) Take the header off. Take 2 rags and get the wet stuff one in one end of the header. Tape it up real good with duct tape (make sure it's sealed) fill it with water. You have to put your hand over the open end and turn the header upside down a couple of times to get the air out. When all of the air is out, Wet the other rag. Make sure that the header is full of water. Stuff the other rag in the open end of the header. Tape it up real well. Use allot of tape. Then place it in the freezer overnight. This will get the large dents out (for large dents you mat have to repeat everything twice) and most of the small dings out. If anything it makes a good spare header.

Interesting, wonder if this would actually work. Might just try this on the kids 2smoke pipe? :)

• Standman

Posted June 17, 2005 - 05:25 AM

I've done it about 5 times. It works. (((DO NOT))) do this to a 2-stroke pipe. It will crack the welds!!! I have pictures of the last header I did. I don't know how to post them.

• nitro circus

Posted June 17, 2005 - 03:58 PM

yeah o got the GYTR one it good and it has the monuts for the stock heat protector

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.