05 XR650L I'm a bit discouraged

9 replies to this topic
  • Curt Waas

Posted May 30, 2005 - 12:37 PM

I’m a little bit discouraged.

XR650L 2005 California
105 total miles since pick up last week.

Baja Designs smog block off kit.
Removal and Installation went well.
While the seat was off I removed the snorkel.
I thought it seemed a bit more responsive, but I only rode it a mile or so before I began the re-jet.

Baja Designs (DynoJet) Re-Jet kit Part 1148.002
Followed the instructions for stock exhaust. E clip on the 3rd grove from the top. Washer Mic’ed out at .023. Jet DJ160. 2-1/2 turns. No drilling. Stock air filter

It started immediately. It idled well. HOWEVER, it did not seem quite as peppy as I thought it originally was or as it seemed after installation of the smog block off. In gears 1,2,3 at low/moderate rpm it seemed timid. Not quite a falter or stumble but timid. After about 20 minutes of easy run the idle was hi. I set the idle lower but that sure didn’t address the timidity.

I have a uni filter on order but that was about all the mods I intended to do for the moment.

Curt :)

• Wheels up

Posted May 30, 2005 - 01:54 PM

Drill the slide.

• Evilfirbolg

Posted May 30, 2005 - 02:28 PM

Yes the slide must drilled.

• roadcam

Posted May 30, 2005 - 03:19 PM

I'm real impressed with your restraint ... when I read the thread, I thought ... "here we go ............" ... :) :D

• Evilfirbolg

Posted May 30, 2005 - 03:33 PM

You know us "L" guys are all so mean because of the manliness we've developed roa(o)sting you lazy "r" guys. Takes a real man to conquer the limitations of technology and still hand ya yer hat.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Curt Waas

Posted May 30, 2005 - 04:07 PM

OK, Call me a tramp..... But the DynoJet "Stage One Instructions" don't call for drilling......

Curt

• edssco

Posted May 30, 2005 - 05:16 PM

Hi
Click on this link

http://www.4strokes....xr650lcarbmods/

Ed

• XRKING

Posted May 30, 2005 - 08:08 PM

OK, Call me a tramp..... But the DynoJet "Stage One Instructions" don't call for drilling......
Curt

The dynojet kit is crap, return it. Also the dynojet 160 is a different size that a standard 160 jet. Again check out this link. http://www.4strokes....xr650lcarbmods/
Also when doing the final jetting adjustments, check this article I found somewhere else.

Thanks to ***** information and knowledge on the 650L carb we have come across what I think could be a jetting problem solver for many 650L riders who have done the carb mods by Dave and Brian. The 650L carb seems to operate a little differently than I had previously thought. At 1/4 throttle and under- most of the fuel is supplied through the bypass ports which is controlled by the pilot circuit or jet. Also the throttle plate in the carb needs to be closed enough to block the bypass ports off and let the motor idle only off the idle mixture screw. What I am getting at is the stock 650L is lean on the pilot jet for emission purposes and the idle is raised and mixture screw is richer, allowing more fuel for idle. By going a little richer on the slow jet(example a 55 to a 58), leaner on the mixture screw(1 turn out on pilot screw), even maybe a little leaner on the main(example - 160 to 158), and lowering the idle you seem to gain the following:

1. Better idling under any and all circumstances
2. Lower operating temperatures
3. More low and mid range power
4. Still even better throttle response
5. A lower but more stable idle
5. A spark plug that always seems to be tan and gray(which is perfect)

All info on the operation of carb was pulled out of the service manual. I have been looking for a reason why my bike's spark plug colors seemed to change depending on what kind of riding I was doing. This changed the condition for the best and so far it runs better than ever.

My carb is setup as follows - 158 main, 58 pilot and mixture screw is about 1 turn out, depending on elevation. Also I lower the idle way down to close the throttle plate fully to let the bike idle off the mixture screw only.

• roadcam

Posted May 31, 2005 - 03:37 AM

the DynaJet kit is NOT crap ... it's just way overpriced ... it is cheaper to buy the Keihin jets, but if you can't return it, don't worry about it ... install the DynaJet kit as the instructions call for, drill the slide, and follow the other tips found in these forums ... my DynaJet-equipped 'L' runs perfectly, although I wish I'd gone the less expensive route

• cajun

Posted May 31, 2005 - 04:27 AM

Curt it sounds like you didn't do anything to open up the exhaust. That sucker has to breath, especialy if you're giving it more gas. Try taking off the exhaust tip and see how it runs. I think you'll notice a difference. If that does it then you need to modifiy the tip. Don't be dicouraged it'll run like beast you just have to do it all.

Jim

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Which thumper motor for a street tracker? by woz

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • * * * * -
  • Hot  29 replies
Forums
Photo

DirttyPig 2005 Xr650l Prroject! by braapmebb1moretime

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 22 replies
Reviews

Honda XR650L 2017 by Chris.GVS

Honda XR650L 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

93 xr650l Restoration Project by Zigster

• 17 replies
Forums
Photo

XR650L super moto wheels by greggkklee

• Hot  28 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.