XRL carb choices

13 replies to this topic
  • ride no evo

Posted May 30, 2005 - 10:12 AM

Hey there all, just registered and already have a question, F$#(& n00bs!!

Hey I picked me self up an '05 XRL and as soon as I get this home buying thing done this week I want to tear into the bike. I'm thinking of a full system, I like the looks of the big gun or xrs only, and I also may toss a new carb on there. What are suggestions and how big is the difference between the stock and a flatside or pumper??

Also what is good for a set of proper hand guards??

Thanks

• XR650L_Dave

Posted May 31, 2005 - 08:17 AM

Try doing the cheap standard mods first- the difference may surprise you.

Dave

• jlpskydive

Posted May 31, 2005 - 08:23 AM

I have the Miare Extreme guards on mine also change the Bars to a CR High bend the difference is dramatic. It feels like the bike drops 20 pounds. There are so many mods that you can do to this bike it's amazing. Do you plan on riding allot of trails? If so drop the counter sprocket to a 14 tooth also. It will still cruse at 70+ with no problems. I have the Supertrapp IDS2 pipe on mine and wouldn't buy it again, it's not bad just not great.

BTW welcome to the club :)

• ride no evo

Posted May 31, 2005 - 03:29 PM

The bike is used mainly for commuting and urban ghetto-cross so gearing will most likely stay tall. I think I may get some different sprockets for when I do woods weekends. Well gotta go its still nice out so I need to ride, P's out!!!

• XRL_Rider

Posted May 31, 2005 - 09:22 PM

I have tried both the mikuni flat slide and the edelbrock pumper. I do a lot of tight trail riding and the low rev response of the edelbrock works better for me. The mikuni flatslide felt faster on road at WOT, but not having to deal with the motor coughing in a tight spot was worth it in my experience. I am running the XR's only exhaust and have no complaints!

• Rover31

Posted June 01, 2005 - 03:18 PM

I have the Kehien FCR41 and love it!!!
Very responsive in all cond & speeds.
It has an accel. pump, has been in production for a while, lots of other bikes use this carb, is easy to get (so lots of parts & easy to tune) and if I remember less $$$ than the Eddie.
I also had a stock carb with all the correct mods done and the FCR blows it away. Way Way more responsive!!
Good luck
Travis

• jlpskydive

Posted June 02, 2005 - 03:07 AM

I have the Kehien FCR41 and love it!!!
Very responsive in all cond & speeds.
It has an accel. pump, has been in production for a while, lots of other bikes use this carb, is easy to get (so lots of parts & easy to tune) and if I remember less $$$ than the Eddie.
I also had a stock carb with all the correct mods done and the FCR blows it away. Way Way more responsive!!
Good luck
Travis

How much and where did you get it. The reviews on the eddie for the L have not been steller at all. Thanks :)

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • ride no evo

Posted June 02, 2005 - 03:58 AM

How much and where did you get it. The reviews on the eddie for the L have not been steller at all. Thanks :)

Pretty sure that one is available at xrs only. SPeaking of xrs only how is the soubd of their exhaust seems like it would be pretty loud.

• Rover31

Posted June 02, 2005 - 05:27 AM

Where else do you buy things, eBay of course! I hate to say this but for cheap, I think I paid $250 for it. I do know that Sudco has them, I am sure for more$.
I would highly recomend getting one

5min later....
I just looked at the Sudco site & it doesn't have listings for individual bikes, might have to call them. Let me go look in my garage at the box for a part #.

2min later....
the box is a Sudco part # 016-749, Application 41SingleHFCR (or is it for?) XR650L

5 more min later...
I looked on ebay and there are 3 listings for FCRs but they are off of YZFs & I think that is a 38FCR and we need 41s (cause our motors are sooooo HUGE)

I am sure that there are many other places to buy these from other than XRs only so don't box yourselves in.
Good luck guys I highly recomend this carb!

Travis

• 05wr450

Posted June 15, 2005 - 09:53 AM

Travis,

Do you have jetting setup for the FCR41 carb? What kind of pipe are you running?

Thanks,

Jeff

• Rover31

Posted June 15, 2005 - 08:15 PM

Honestly I don't remember the exact specs, I do however remember that I had to go up to a 62 or 65 on the idle jet.
Next week I will be able to post what my settings are/were as.... OH Yeah it's gettin' the 10.25 comp piston and a stage 2 cam!!!

More Power!!!
So I will keep you posted.
I am also running the FMF power bomb Q pipe.
I may try playing with a White Bro. many people say that it is a larger diameter.

Travis

• Wheels up

Posted June 16, 2005 - 08:00 AM

Would I benefit from a FCR 41 if I decided to get one? My mods are below. Thanks. No hi-jack intended.

• XR650L_Dave

Posted June 16, 2005 - 09:14 AM

Nothing will give as much throttle-response as a manual slide.
A larger carb will give more top end.

D

• Rover31

Posted June 16, 2005 - 03:38 PM

The carb next to susp. stuff is/was the best mod I have done. Much better throttle response!!!
Travis

Related Content

Forums
Photo
Washington

Cle Elum Sunday 5/29: Looking for dual sport tips by TigerTanker

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   Northwest
  • Hot  32 replies
Reviews

Honda XR650L 2016 by Chris.GVS

Honda XR650L 2016
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

Wiseco 101MM Spark Knock Low Engine Temps by imandrewparks

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 7 replies
Forums
Photo

93 xr650l Restoration Project by Zigster

• 17 replies
Forums
Photo

2015 XR650L Squeaking noise by Crayjay

• 3 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.