Synthetic Oil, Clutch Slip?

29 replies to this topic
  • nevadaoutlaw

Posted June 02, 2005 - 04:45 PM

I broke in for 150 miles and started using Mobile 1, but I think it has a gold cap now. Didn't notice clutch slipping.

Someone told me the gold cap Mobile 1 was once the red cap. Can anyone confirm this for me?

• steelhead

Posted June 03, 2005 - 08:26 AM

Show me one manufacturer that ships their vehicles with synthetic oil in them or recommends its use for break-in. Even the manufacturers of synthetic oils recommend against its use for break-in.

I was surprised to see my 04 KTM 625 SXC was shipped with Motorex synthethic from the factory.

Been running Mobil 1 red cap in it since breakin but now that red cap is gone looking for a replacement. Does anyone know if gold cap is the same stuff? :)

• GMAN69

Posted June 03, 2005 - 01:45 PM

Ktm reccomends full synthetic for my 05 525. Not sure if the oil that came in it was or not though. I put 200 miles on it using regular motorex 10-50 and put in amsoil full syn in today.

• beezer

Posted June 03, 2005 - 02:09 PM

Most oil threads are horseshit anyway.

None of us are petroleum engineers so anyone babbling about it is just regurgitating some crap they read in a magazine written by someone who can't get a real job anyway.

If you change your oil often it really doesn't seem to matter what you use. I use Silkolene synthetic because its a pretty red color.

• Chas_M

Posted June 03, 2005 - 06:59 PM

Even though the KTM manual recommends full synthetic, Mike Russo the KTM Racing Tech Advisor recommends a petroleum based or a semi-synthetic oil rather than a full synthetic primarily because of concerns with clutch slippage and the fact that the oil is changed so frequently.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • 96warrior

Posted June 03, 2005 - 07:12 PM

I suggest using regular yamalube for the next 500 miles to ensure your rings seated properly.

Then yamalube 10w50 4R after that point.I change the oil in my stuff so often, that I haven't used the 10w50 4R yet, its a semi synthetic. I know thats what alot of people that race use, and it holds up well.

• Bamster

Posted June 03, 2005 - 07:35 PM

20 w 50 motorcycle engine oil changed every 350 miles will be fine.
moohahahaha

• RADRick

Posted June 03, 2005 - 08:55 PM

None of us are petroleum engineers so anyone babbling about it is just regurgitating some crap they read in a magazine written by someone who can't get a real job anyway.

As if that was a requirement to having an opinion. You sound jealous. :)

If you change your oil often it really doesn't seem to matter what you use.

Actually, that's a fair statement. The problem is when you're out riding or racing and you run into one of those rare situations that stresses your oil beyond its limits. That's when I'd rather have the extra protection of a good quality synthetic or semi-synthetic. I use Royal Purple because I like the color. :)

• RADRick

Posted June 03, 2005 - 09:00 PM

I was surprised to see my 04 KTM 625 SXC was shipped with Motorex synthethic from the factory.

How do you know this? Is that what the dealer told you or was there a sticker on the bike saying so? I've never seen a new motorcycle come with any indication of what brand of fluids were in it. Then again, I've never bought a new KTM either. Most bikes are shipped with dry crankcases and the dealer fills them during setup.

• resslera

Posted June 18, 2005 - 08:50 AM

Gold cap is the same as red cap except gold cap has more zinc / phos / and moly. How much more moly? It has gone from around 70ppm to around 90ppm. There is still more moly in Mobil 1 motorcycle specific oils than the Mobil1 gold cap 15w50.

Don't believe me? Go to www.bobistheoilguy.com and look at oil analysis's done. Gold cap is better than redcap for bikes imo. Unless of course your bike is supersensitive to moly with the clutch.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.