Oil problems

5 replies to this topic
  • tweek

Posted May 29, 2005 - 03:30 PM

I have heard comments/concerns about the amount of oil in the WR/YZ and saw two 450s torn down at the Yamaha shop. I ask and they suspected the oil was to low and the motor gernaded. I have also read about "squeals" coming from the motor. I am ass-u-ming these are riders who didn't check the level before riding.
Question: has anybody actually experienced a problem with the 450 related to the oil level?
Tom
'03 WR450

• WGP

Posted May 30, 2005 - 07:01 AM

I keep getting a high level with my 05 WR450, anybody else, will this damage the engine or other parts? Its only a little high on the dipstick??

• tweek

Posted May 31, 2005 - 08:23 AM

If you change the oil and filter you and 1.2 quarts and 1 quart if you do not remove/replace the filter. After you run the motor for about five minutes check the level with motor off..........................
'03 Wr450

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • WGP

Posted May 31, 2005 - 08:39 AM

Now is it Quarts or Liters?
I'm pretty sure it's 1.2 L, maybe that explains my 1/4" high readings? Will this screw anything up?

• tweek

Posted May 31, 2005 - 12:16 PM

You are correct! It should have been "add 1.2 liters."
One quart = 0.946 liters.

• JTWR450

Posted May 31, 2005 - 01:05 PM

go to your shop, pick up a "Ratio Rite" that the 2 smokers use when mixing and you will never go wrong. It has the measurements on the side of the deal and it even comes with a built in pour spout so you dont have to worry about dripping oil or using a funnel.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.