Procedure on starting my 02 426?

11 replies to this topic
  • My426Hauls

Posted May 29, 2005 - 02:55 PM

hello i have just picked up my new bike. It is a 02 426 and i am having trouble starting it so i was wondering if you guys know the proper procedure that i can use so i dont break my leg
Thanks boys

• jamieyz426f01

Posted May 29, 2005 - 03:00 PM

hehe :) urm 1. if it aint been started in a couple of days twist the throttle a cuple of times,2. grab the decomp lever,3.push the kickstart about an inch and a half down, let it come back up to the top,4. kick it....hard and through the whole stroke and woolaaa! :D make sure you have the petrol on and the choke on if your cold starting and hotstart for.... well hot starting :) hope that helps.

• DoctorRzed

Posted May 29, 2005 - 03:00 PM

[COLOR=Blue]Push down the kickstarter down until you hit the compression stroke. Then once you hit the compression pullin the decompression lever and continue to push down about an inch. Bring the kickstarter up to the starting position and give it a kick.[/COLOR] :)

• DoctorRzed

Posted May 29, 2005 - 03:05 PM

I like how they say not to give the bike gas before ya kick it. I always give it a twist before I kick it and my bikes always start in 1 kick :)

• My426Hauls

Posted May 29, 2005 - 03:18 PM

should i let out the decompression befor i kick it or hold it in.
and how do i start it when it is hot
it is an 02 and i dont no if it has the Hot start

• jamieyz426f01

Posted May 29, 2005 - 03:20 PM

it does have the hotstart and you start it as you would cold, and yes you do let go of the decomp lever before the final kick:thumbsup:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • bigcheese

Posted May 29, 2005 - 05:05 PM

1 twist throttle one time if needed use the choke for real cold starts
2pull the decomperission in and do 1/4 of a kick then let go to let it recoil
3 then use all your weight and kick it (faster the kick the better)

• bigcheese

Posted May 29, 2005 - 05:08 PM

i have a hot start and i cant tell if it works or not the only thing i found it usful for is when you fall and the bike floods leave hot start opean and it drys up fuel faster

• BOULMAN

Posted May 29, 2005 - 08:56 PM

Assuming you have go the technique down now( I push down on the kick lever until it shows resistance, use compression lever to get just past that, bring it back up to the top, release lever and kick it through) you may need to jet the bike. A correctly jetted bike start 10xs easier. I have a wr so I don't know what is stock. Do a search to get an idea where you need to be.
I never touch the throttle unless I let the carb go dry.
From what I have read and experienced a correctly jetted bike needs the hot start if you are starting it when its hot.
jb

• My426Hauls

Posted May 30, 2005 - 05:32 PM

ok thanks boys

• motocross15_3

Posted May 30, 2005 - 07:10 PM

hmmm i dont do it that way i pull decomp lever in kick all the way then nice hard kick and it starts

• Yamizzle426

Posted May 30, 2005 - 09:04 PM

Here's a good video on how to start your 4-stroke YZ.

http://www.off-road.gr/article65.html

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies
Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.