for the folks who use a mikuni tm flatslide carb

8 replies to this topic
  • honda500

Posted May 29, 2005 - 12:12 PM

i have a tm34 mikuni flatslide carb on the way and i wanna know if i need a fuel pump or not. anybody here have a tm carb with or without a fuel pump

• XR250rdr

Posted May 29, 2005 - 03:53 PM

I've never heard of having a fuel pump on a dirt bike.

• honda500

Posted May 30, 2005 - 07:41 AM

it's an aftermarket carb not stock

• don87xr600

Posted May 30, 2005 - 12:48 PM

where would one buy a fuel pump for a dirt bike?

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • BWB63

Posted May 30, 2005 - 03:33 PM

The fuel pump is part of a pumper Carburetor. It pumps fuel (squirts) to make the engine respond faster. Edelbrock, Mikuni and FCR Kehin carburetors are pumper carbs. A TM40 is a Mikuni pumper carburetor, I have one for my XR650R. I had a 36mm TM36 Mikuni on a 84 XR500 and it rimped compared to stock setup. Had a 38mm pumper on a 94' XR600R. I have a Edelbrock 40mm X 42mm pumper on my 680cc XR650R. I don't think you need a fuel pump as in "To pump fuel out of the fuel tank". But, a carburetor with a fuel pump meaning, "a pumper carburetor" it's the type of carburetor that is being talked about. Three major carburetors, talk about here; Round slide that just draws the fuel through the jets with vacuum (stock XR650R has this) has a lag time off idle if you wack the throttle. CV (Constant Volocity) uses Vacuum to pick up the slide, (what the XR650L uses) it's a good street carburetor but, sucks for real dirt riding. Then you have the pumper carburetors, has a fuel pump that squirts fuel to over come lag time. Very responsive once tuned right. They come Flat slide and round slide. TM Mikuni's are pupmer carburetors.

• honda500

Posted May 31, 2005 - 02:37 AM

the reason i ask is because on the dennis kirk mag, they say that the tm carbs are to be used with a fuel pump for instance with a snowmobile. but the seller said he just bolted it on. i just wanted to know if he was just trying to sell it or not.

• jbird710

Posted April 22, 2006 - 01:45 PM

I know it's nearly a year since the original posting but look at the string:

http://www.thumperta...rburetor XR650L

You can put an electric gas pump on a 650L to overcome fuel delivery issues. It would seem to be overkill but it obviously worked for the guy in the string above.

• rcnutt

Posted April 22, 2006 - 03:33 PM

G-R-A-V-I-T-Y fills the bowl.a sleds tank will sit low and might need a pump to get gas up to the carb.........never need one on a dirt bike unless there is blockage in the line

• BWB63

Posted April 22, 2006 - 11:28 PM

Some fuel tank need a fuel pump to pump fuel from one side to the other but, this is not about a mikuni, just might be where the confusion is coming from???

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Wiseco 101MM Spark Knock Low Engine Temps by imandrewparks

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 7 replies
Forums
Photo

XR650L super moto wheels by greggkklee

• Hot  28 replies
Forums
Photo

Fell Off Trailer by usafxr

• Hot  43 replies
Forums
Photo

Would a Young Scott Summers still be Competitive today on an XR600R? What would he ride to be competitive today? by Jayzonk

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  158 replies
Forums
Photo
Washington

Cle Elum Sunday 5/29: Looking for dual sport tips by TigerTanker

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   Northwest
  • Hot  32 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.