Good numbers on the bench

19 replies to this topic
  • Hamish

Posted May 29, 2005 - 02:46 AM

Got my head back today along with some pretty impressive figures for anyone that cares/understands.
Balance is now up to 81%, Flow increaced everywhere.
Stock was 123 cfm at 350 thou on the inlet, now up to 133 cfm
Exhaust was 88cfm at 350 thou, now up to 108 cfm.
And as you can see from the below pics, the post velocity will be much higher. I told him that I didnt care much for topend, just wanted massive torque down low. But looking at the figures, the topend will be better aswell. He also did a pretty sweet job on the chamber. Got it reassembled this arvo, just need to get some new shims and then she'll be going again :)
Throwing in a YZ450 exhaust cam at the same time, so the results should be intresting. Probably hit the dyno next weekend. I'll keep you posted.

http://users.tpg.com...ics/chamber.JPG
http://users.tpg.com...cs/chamber2.JPG
http://users.tpg.com.../Pics/inlet.JPG
http://users.tpg.com...ics/exhaust.JPG

• gregwr450f

Posted May 29, 2005 - 02:56 AM

Who did the work?

• Hamish

Posted May 29, 2005 - 03:09 AM

A guy in Brisbane . I think he calls himself MC Heads :) , I just know him as Geoff . Does a lot of the race bike heads for the dealers around this area. He did my ZXR750 many years ago.

• Chris_from_Oz

Posted May 29, 2005 - 06:58 AM

Nice pic's, looks like quality work. :) I had my Softail's heads done by Andrew Hallam (Hallam Racing/HallamBoyz), similar quality work. It seems good machinists are a dying art. Actually, good quality anything is hard to come by these days.....
i.e.: Panel beaters don't actually beat too many panels anymore, they mainly unbolt the old panel, and bolt on the new. It seems that once all the 'old school' guys retire, a lot of the knowledge will go into retirement with them..... :D :) Don't mind me, i'm 3/4 cut.....

• gregwr450f

Posted May 30, 2005 - 01:52 AM

Hey Chris, my Harley looks better then your's. :D :)

• Hamish

Posted May 30, 2005 - 02:31 AM

Hey Chris, my Harley looks better then your's. :D :)

A Harley is a Harley isn't it? Just a antiquated 1920's style pushrod twin that is lucky to make the power of a jap engine 1/2 it's size?

Hmm..that should get a few bites.................

• Dan_Lorenze

Posted May 30, 2005 - 05:33 AM

Ham, great thread... The machine work looks top notch.. Please keep us posted on the results. Nice.... :)

• BOULMAN

Posted May 30, 2005 - 05:40 AM

harnish:

In the faq section about the 450 cams into the 400/426 talks about accelerated cam wear. Has this been proven or disproved? I figured with all of the work you have done on your bike you would know

thanks
jb

• Chris_from_Oz

Posted May 30, 2005 - 05:53 AM

A Harley is a Harley isn't it? Just a antiquated 1920's style pushrod twin that is lucky to make the power of a jap engine 1/2 it's size?

Hmm..that should get a few bites.................

I'll have you know that my basic engine design is 1930's technology, thank you very much :D :) :D Also, i've yet to come up against a Jap' street bike that I can't beat.....for the first 60 feet, then they come past me on the back wheel. :)

• Math

Posted May 30, 2005 - 08:38 AM

Not that I know a lot about porting but this all looks nice.

I'm very anxious to see your dyno results.

Keep me informed

Thanks

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Hamish

Posted May 30, 2005 - 12:15 PM

harnish:

In the faq section about the 450 cams into the 400/426 talks about accelerated cam wear. Has this been proven or disproved? I figured with all of the work you have done on your bike you would know

thanks
jb

no idea, just installing the cam now.
I cant see it effecting the camshaft wear. If anything is suspect, it's the chain. But other members have done many miles with no problems so it shouldnt be an issue.

• Hamish

Posted May 30, 2005 - 12:22 PM

I'll have you know that my basic engine design is 1930's technology, thank you very much :D :) :D Also, i've yet to come up against a Jap' street bike that I can't beat.....for the first 60 feet, then they come past me on the back wheel. :)

had it on the 1/4?

• Birdie426

Posted May 30, 2005 - 06:52 PM

Hamish-
In the pic of your intake port, the floor appears to be a different color than the cieling and walls...Did your porting dude add material to raise the floor/reduce the cross sectional area/increase flow velocity? Used to do it on the big d-port chevy heads and cleveland ford heads.

• Brettv

Posted May 30, 2005 - 10:41 PM

hmm, i want that done. how much did it set you back?

• Hamish

Posted May 31, 2005 - 02:05 AM

Bridie:
yeah, it's some special epoxy he uses. Even with that much fill in there, the flow is still better than stock at all valve lifts. Did you know that the head on our bike outflows SBC heads?? hehehe
I just finished running in the new exhaust camshaft. It sure is sharp on the throttle. Thump thump thump braaaaap. thump thump thump. Mind you, the AP needs some more tuning :) If I get it back together tomorrow night I'll see how she goes on the street.
Brettv : It'll cost you $450 plus freight to/from Brisbane.

• Chris_from_Oz

Posted May 31, 2005 - 06:50 AM

had it on the 1/4?

No, not this bike, but mate's bikes with almost identical mod's (probably less head work), run 12.0-12.5's in the 1/4. Not really fast in the whole grand scheme of things, but lots of fun. I'll run it at a street meet soon hopefully. :)

• Gadsen

Posted May 31, 2005 - 07:20 AM

...Probably hit the dyno next weekend... I'll keep you posted.

Yes, let us know what the horsepower readings are, I'm real curious! :)

• Hamish

Posted June 01, 2005 - 02:02 AM

Took it for a braaaaaaaap on the street tonight. With only 1 of my Acerbis Diamond deadlights working visablity wasnt too flash.
Took a guess on the tunrup and went 2 clips leaner on the needle.
Seems to be ok, nothing earth shattering, but strong. But I assume there is a bit more left in the tuneup. I will be doing the cam timing in a few weeks, hopefully with a before/after dyno run. I know of a tuner that has made the tools to allow the sprocket to be pressed off the decomp cam and pressed back on at the correct place. There is definately more bottom end avaliable in having the correct cam timing, but thats abother story.

• momudder

Posted June 01, 2005 - 02:57 PM

Looks great.... shiny is good.

• lewichris

Posted June 01, 2005 - 08:00 PM

cool, way over my head, but i am impressed.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.