New 03 XR650R only 3.5 miles

25 replies to this topic
  • 2old

Posted May 28, 2005 - 07:09 PM

Well I just got back from a 7 hour ride trip to Dallas to pick up a new 03 XR650R. I against the 450X and wanted to get the PIG. I had just enough time to put a few laps on it around the kids track I have at the house. Could only get into second on the 2 long straights. Only put on 3.5 miles, man am I out of shape. It has been 15 years since I have been on the dirt. So far I really like the bike and I am really glad I decided on it over the 450X. I can not wait to get it un-corked. I have the HRC baffle and the new upgraded needle, but they did not have the intake, the pilot jet, the main jets or the service manual. I guess if I can not locate them around Houston Tuesday I will place a order with Service Honda. I do have a question about the needle, it has a shouldered gold colored piece with the needle and clip. What is this? With out the manual I am at a little disadjantage. I have just started working on bikes again and there is a lot I do not remember or never knew when I was younger. I will also take any and all advice for a new PIG owner. I can not wait to get more time on it. I am sure I will get to tomorrow as soon as I fix a front flat tire on my sons bike and put new reeds in my daughters bike.
To all of those that recommend the 650R, thanks a million. To those that did not, sorry but had to go with the biggest bike out there.

• captb

Posted May 28, 2005 - 08:03 PM

Congrats, when uncorked the beast will awaken.

• RJC

Posted May 29, 2005 - 06:02 AM

...I do have a question about the needle, it has a shouldered gold colored piece with the needle and clip. What is this? With out the manual I am at a little disadjantage....

That's the needle jet. I don't know why they include it with the needle.I don't believe there is anything different or unique about it compared to the stock one supplied in the carb.There's one in your carb already. Like yourself, I am fairly new to working on bikes. It can be frustrating at times, but don't give up. Just keep monkeying around with them. And get the manual ASAP. It's $50 well spent. :)

• Roll_it_on

Posted May 29, 2005 - 06:06 AM

The brass unit that came with the needle is the needle jet seat that gets replaced with the new needle as a set. That little goodie goes in from the bottom of the carb up under the main jet once that whole assembly is unscrewed and removed the old one will come out and you can replace it with the new one that matches the taper of the HRC needle.

Great choice on the bike and have fun :) :D

• 2old

Posted May 29, 2005 - 06:48 AM

Thanks for the information on the needle jet seat. I thought that was what it might be, but was not 100% sure. I wish I could have gotten the manual yesterday since they did not have the owners manual for it. They are to order me new one and mail it to me. Hopefully I can find the manual Tuesday.

• bakeray

Posted May 29, 2005 - 07:45 AM

Congrats....I just finished off the uncorking process on mine. Still working out a few minor bugs ( I have a little stumble with mine ) but it woke the bike up.

• babbs

Posted May 29, 2005 - 01:30 PM

I just bought an "r" yesterday and I also live in Houston. I would like to talk about the uncorking process with you, and maybe go for a ride. Let me know.

• smashinz2002

Posted May 29, 2005 - 08:48 PM

Remember that when you're uncorking the 650R, you MUST remove the airbox snorkel and baffle plate (located on upper back side of airbox). . You also MUST replace the intake boot between the carb and cylinder with the 40mm unit. Then re-jet to a 175 main, B3E needle, and HRC exhaust tip.
When you finish all that, the bike will run well.

• bakeray

Posted May 29, 2005 - 11:51 PM

Remember that when you're uncorking the 650R, you MUST remove the airbox snorkel and baffle plate (located on upper back side of airbox). . You also MUST replace the intake boot between the carb and cylinder with the 40mm unit. Then re-jet to a 175 main, B3E needle, and HRC exhaust tip.
When you finish all that, the bike will run well.

Smashin is right...the beast has to breathe. The stock exhaust tip can be cut out (I took the tip to work and the machine shop used a 2" hole saw I believe to cut it out) if you cant find the HRC tip. Thats what I did to mine, BUT, just watch out when you wash the bike...Its a collection point for water I am finding out..I also found one of the unplugged air box holes makes a great place to stash your bikes registration in a small pill bottle. :)

• KeithBoyd

Posted May 30, 2005 - 03:55 AM

Don`t spend money on the it from print out what you need on the day....

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • cajun

Posted May 30, 2005 - 04:51 AM

Hey you Houston Guys you made some great and fun choices. I like you had to go for the biggest and most power. It didn't take me long to find out that stock wasn't enough.

Listen I live in Houston also and have done just about everything possible to uncork that sucker short of the 680 kit. I bought mine about 6 months ago and have done lots of mods. My brother who lives near by has an XL600 and we've done most work and mods. on it also. Lots of fun!

If you need some help let me know.
smashinz2002 was right on in his advice, also don't do anything until you've got it all. Only doing part of the mods. will really mess up the way it runs.

• babbs

Posted May 30, 2005 - 06:19 AM

So do you guys from houston have any good places to ride? (at least that you are willing to expose to a few more people) I am getting tired of the same old small area behind my house. If you have any ideas we should all meet one day and let the pigs meet.

• frankstr

Posted May 30, 2005 - 06:29 AM

You might also think about opening up the side cover, The BRP luvs the xtra air flow.... :)
Also you might want to grease the headset bearings and the suspension linkage, There's more grease in my hair then they put in there during assembly..

• 2old

Posted June 02, 2005 - 01:45 PM

Thanks for all of the great input. But truth be known, I will not get to ride the new BRP for about 3 months now. Really bums me out. I took it out for a few more laps on the small track I built the kids in the pasture on Sunday. Well I got on it a little to much coming down the long straight and grabed a little to much front brake and washed the front tire out. At first I thought I just blew out the lig's again. But went in Tuesday to have it looked at. I found out that I actually broke a piece off of the knee socket and shoved it down 1cm. Now I have to have surgery on Wednesday to put it back in place and add a plate and some screws. This was all done on my birthday, oh well life goes on and now I will just get to watch the kids ride this summer instead of riding with them. As for all of the guys in the Houston area, as soon as I can get back on we will have to meet up and go for a ride. At least now I have plenty of time to un cork the beast and add some other goodies. I still love this bike, just made a small mistake that turned out bad.

• qadsan

Posted June 02, 2005 - 03:05 PM

Wow, sorry to hear such terrible news, but it could have been worse. I hope the surgery goes well and that you have a great summer anyway :)

• babbs

Posted June 03, 2005 - 11:39 AM

Where are you having surgery? I work in the Medical Center. And when?
If you are having surgery in the medical center I'll stop in and visit.

• 2old

Posted June 03, 2005 - 04:53 PM

The surgery is at Tomball hospital, I am going to the sports medicine center in Tomball. The surgery will be next Wednesday. Thanks for the offer to stop by though. I will on be in over night. The doctor said I could let it heal the way it was, but it would not work correctly even for normal walking. I did get a chance to hobble out to the shed to check out the bike, not a scratch on it that I could see. I could lay it down the same way a dozen times and walk away, just caught that leg just right. I hope you have fun riding your new bike, when I get better we will have to hook up and ride.

• cajun

Posted June 04, 2005 - 04:16 AM

Man I really hate to hear this Glenn. You were just getting ready to start having some real fun. I have had more fun with my pig than I can ever remember having before. I was 47 when I bought it. Have faith and don't give up on it. Really if you need any help just holler. Also let me know after you're supposed to be healed if your having any trouble I also do muscular therapy.

Posted June 04, 2005 - 05:45 AM

Hey Houston Guys! I Live 30 Mins Away From Downtown Houston. Whew.. :) I Thought I Was Alone!!! I've Been Scorching My Backyard Too Due To The Lack Of Real Estate To Play With. Trail Riding Is Something I Am Very Interested In! Just Don't Know Where And When. I Also Could Use Some Help Rejetting The Pig. I Did The Airbox Mods Already And Have A W.b. Pipe. I Need Suspension Work Too!!! I Can Only Do Minor Stuff. Can We Houston Guys Meet Somewhere? Somehow? Someway? I'm Tired Of Riding Alone! Good Luck On Your Surgery Glenn! :)

Posted June 04, 2005 - 09:40 AM

Congratulations on your purchase,I recently bought a 2002 XR650R, 1900 miles,only modification is one of those quiet mufflers to be used in federal parks, I'm curious as to what you paid for yours, I paid $3400. for mine, it is in mint condition. I ride in Comfort,Texas on my small ranch,have to dodge the meadow muffins, I also havent't ridden in 25 years or so and am overly careful with the bike but is excellent so far, I really didn't need this big a bike but I can't pass up a good deal even if I don't need it. I enjoy your posts,keep it up.

Related Content

Engine Loping/Sputtering by tcaldwell

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 2 replies

93 xr650l Restoration Project by Zigster

• 17 replies

What was your path to Beta? by officialhopsof

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Beta
  • Hot  79 replies

Can anyone identify this xr600 piston? by ms_mtn24

• 4 replies

XR650L super moto wheels by greggkklee

• Hot  28 replies

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.