Anybody do the Barnums air box mod

11 replies to this topic
  • honkylips

Posted May 26, 2005 - 08:09 PM

http://cgi.ebay.com/...&category=35597

seems kinda silly to spend money on a mod you can do for free, but it looks kinda nice

• XRoverall

Posted May 27, 2005 - 06:28 AM

I just did this weekend, and yeah it looks very cool! $65 for the bling factor...

• honkylips

Posted May 27, 2005 - 07:06 AM

How'd the bike feel afterward? Did you find you had to swap to a bigger jet?

• XRoverall

Posted May 27, 2005 - 07:15 AM

I have an edelbrock, easy to take care of. I'm leaving for WCTTR in a minute and will need to adjust for the altitude when I arrive.

• ponq

Posted May 27, 2005 - 07:22 AM

Sorry this is off topic,

Would any of you know why when you search xr650r on ebay that auction doesn't come up. I search ebay every once in a while and that auction never came up?

To keep it on topic I planned on drilling out mine and if I mess up I'll pick up that kit to clean it up :)

• XRoverall

Posted May 27, 2005 - 07:27 AM

You have to search the stores. It's not an auction item.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • ponq

Posted May 27, 2005 - 07:32 AM

Thanks

• qadsan

Posted May 27, 2005 - 07:58 AM

Nice bling and functional too :)

• miguelitro

Posted May 27, 2005 - 08:27 AM

I dont believe in airbox mods. open uup the snorkle and thats it. of course it gets pretty dusty out here, and i like water and mud. kinda the same thing as taking out your backfire screen. is it wrth it for 1/2 a hp????

• hill5150

Posted May 27, 2005 - 08:46 AM

I dont believe in airbox mods. open uup the snorkle and thats it. of course it gets pretty dusty out here, and i like water and mud. kinda the same thing as taking out your backfire screen. is it wrth it for 1/2 a hp????

Yes, it is. Horsepower is why I ride........... :)

• Supplicate

Posted May 27, 2005 - 09:19 AM

of course it gets pretty dusty out here, and i like water and mud.

same here.

and thats why I am considering picking up the Barnum's Airbox mod already put into a side pannel. When I'm in the dry desert just flying, have the modded side pannel on. Then when I want to go play in the mud and water, swap em out. I already clean my airfilters religously, so I don't think the extra bit of dust will make that much of a difference.

• BWB63

Posted May 27, 2005 - 09:40 AM

Anytime you can flow more air through you engine and have to jet up for it you are making more horsepower. Just like uncorking, going from a 135 main to a 175 main is eight horsepower. The air box mod works best with other mod's that help flow more air through the engine, like a header/muffler setup that is more free flowing, a better carburetor ect, ect...

You may get one horsepower from a header/ muffler setup, but, with a uni air filter maybe another half a horsepower but, add holes in the side cover now you have three horsepower total. You just turned that half a horsepower gain from adding the holes in the air box to one and a half with everything. All the engine mod work that way to a point. You see guy's with stock bikes putting out 47~48hp instead of the uncorked bikes putting out 44hp. Well now you know where they are getting the extra 3~4hp. Is 6~8% horsepower increase worth it??? $500 for an exhaust system, $30 for a Uni air filter, $400 for a pumper carburetor and then some free holes??? NO and neither was the $3000 dollars I spent for the other extra ten horsepower I got when I went 680cc :D but, it sure is fun :)

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.