Gotta Laugh

30 replies to this topic
  • Curt Waas

Posted May 26, 2005 - 03:46 PM

So I just finished removing all the California smog stuff (lotsa stuff) and plugging everything up and reconecting the breather line and there is this extra hose just hanging out there.......... After about 10 minutes of reading and going over everything I realized it was the gass line... DUH....

Curt

• XR-Det

Posted May 26, 2005 - 04:02 PM

:D :) :D :worthy: :D

Good one... sounds like me when I put that screwdriver, wrench, screw or whatever down for a minute and then have to search for it for a half hour because I can't remember where I put that darn thing :)

• Eric Henion

Posted May 26, 2005 - 04:09 PM

I think tghat is called C.R.S. (Can't remember s***) I suffer from it also.

• GIANTac1

Posted May 26, 2005 - 04:11 PM

How is yours running? Mine starts fine but when I give it a little throttle it will backfire and almost die. I plugged the 2 nipples in front, 1 on the right side, and 1 below the carb. I have got the top of the airbox plugged and the bottom running to engine breather vent. Can anybody tell me where I went wrong, PLEASE :)
THANKS!

• Dirtbikingpunk16

Posted May 26, 2005 - 04:11 PM

I did that same thing when I first got my bike, except I was washing the bike and thought I pulled a hose out.

• Dirtbikingpunk16

Posted May 26, 2005 - 04:13 PM

Ugggh.............beat me to the reply.

• XR-Det

Posted May 26, 2005 - 04:25 PM

If you are talking about the two hose connection on the carburetor that you plugged - that is not correct. This plug on the first pic is in the wrong place:

Posted Image

The two ports on the side and front of the carb have to be reconnected to prevent backfiring during decel. I just used a section of the old hose and connected both (see pics below). I didn't have backfiring by just giving it some throttle...

Posted Image Posted Image

• GIANTac1

Posted May 26, 2005 - 04:32 PM

I have another hose fitting to the right of the one you have connected. I tried what you have pictured but it didnt help. I have researched this mod and there seems to be a bunch of different ways to get this done. I just cant find one...... :) I will send some pics. in a few.

• XR-Det

Posted May 26, 2005 - 04:50 PM

I have another hose fitting to the right of the one you have connected. I tried what you have pictured but it didnt help. I have researched this mod and there seems to be a bunch of different ways to get this done. I just cant find one...... :) I will send some pics. in a few.

That little canister on the side has to be connected to the vacuum. That is a air cut diaphragm and is responsible for cutting the fuel during decel. Also other vacuum leaks/open ports have to be closed or you loose the vacuum which creates the same effect.

• GIANTac1

Posted May 26, 2005 - 05:04 PM

Here is what I am working with.......
this is the hose connected the same way you show in your picture, and the bottom nipple plugged.
http://i5.photobucke...C1/7c074dae.jpg
This ones shows the two hoses on the front of the carb. The one on the left is connected like you show in your pic. The one on the right is just plugged up.
All of the plastic smog stuff is suppose to come off right?

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • GIANTac1

Posted May 26, 2005 - 05:06 PM

This ones shows the two hoses on the front of the carb. The one on the left is connected like you show in your pic. The one on the right is just plugged up.
http://i5.photobucke...C1/IMG_0132.jpg
this picture didnt show up on my last post.

• XR-Det

Posted May 26, 2005 - 05:19 PM

Yes, all the stuff on the left side of the bike goes. The breather tube from the engine skips the smog pump and goes directly into the airfilter.

I'm not sure about the other ports on your carb. Minde is a 2001 and I only read about those ports in the IMS directions. Wasn't there only one small hose comming from the smog pump up the the carb and connecting to a little platic "T" connector?

Have you tried to just plug off that end that came from the smog pump and leave the hoses around the carb as it was in the original setup?

• XR-Det

Posted May 26, 2005 - 05:20 PM

this picture didnt show up on my last post.

:) :D I don't see anything on that picture :) :D

• XR-Det

Posted May 26, 2005 - 05:26 PM

maybe this fits your carb
http://www.4strokes....?TOPIC_ID=16361

• GIANTac1

Posted May 26, 2005 - 05:28 PM

here it ishttp://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y177/giantAC1/IMG_0137.jpg

• XR-Det

Posted May 26, 2005 - 06:17 PM

That one looks like the one in the link I posted one mail earlier. Does the hose on the right end in the open now??? That was plugged on the description at 4stroke.com - I assume that was the one going to the smog pump?

The writer also mentioned another port pointing down that has to be plugged...

If its already backfiring when you just pull on the throttle that carb seems to be allot more sensitive as mine to vacuum leaks/wrong hookups.

Did you do any other changes together with the smog pump removal?? Maybe its not the carb (alone) where it went wrong even though it sounds like it...

Good luck figuring it out... I'm gone now

• GIANTac1

Posted May 26, 2005 - 07:01 PM

I now have it set up like that link shows. No improvement. Bike starts but will
die when I hit the throttle or it will crack and pop :)

• XR-Det

Posted May 27, 2005 - 02:57 AM

I now have it set up like that link shows. No improvement. Bike starts but will
die when I hit the throttle or it will crack and pop :)

Hmm I've no clue... you didn't modify anything else while removing that smog stuff??

• ghoti

Posted May 27, 2005 - 04:37 AM

The California carb is different but I don't know what the correct hose routing is...dang my book is at home. Boy, I'm a lot of help. :)

• GIANTac1

Posted May 27, 2005 - 11:32 AM

I have the hose coming from the engine breather going to the bottom fitting on the air box with the top fitting to air box plugged.I dont think that should be a problem. It seems to have gotten better? It dosent pop or crack when I hit the throttle, but it will bog and lag a bit?

Related Content

Forums
Photo
Washington

Cle Elum Sunday 5/29: Looking for dual sport tips by TigerTanker

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   Northwest
  • Hot  32 replies
Forums
Photo

Engine Loping/Sputtering by tcaldwell

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 2 replies
Forums
Photo

Fell Off Trailer by usafxr

• Hot  43 replies
Forums
Photo

XR650L super moto wheels by greggkklee

• Hot  28 replies
Forums
Photo

2015 XR650L Squeaking noise by Crayjay

• 3 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.