xr650r longer cables for higher bar mount?

6 replies to this topic
  • xdirtbikerx

Posted May 26, 2005 - 03:30 PM

Just bought a 01 xr 650r. love it, I am 6'2" and need the bars forward and higher. my only concern is if the cables are long enough stock or, am i going to have to get longer ones? appriciate any input, thanks.

• jazzbrother

Posted May 26, 2005 - 05:17 PM

Try the XR650 forum.

• Jeff_in_RC

Posted May 27, 2005 - 07:50 AM

Just bought a 01 xr 650r. love it, I am 6'2" and need the bars forward and higher. my only concern is if the cables are long enough stock or, am i going to have to get longer ones? appriciate any input, thanks.

If you need longer cables check with Terrycable. I had a longer set made for my XR400 when I went to taller bars and they are great. I put the new bars on my bike leaving the stock cables in place and measured how much longer I needed them to be and gave them a call.

Check this out, if they don't have them in their records you send them your stock cables for the dimensions and they will make you the new cables at 1/2 the cost, but you have to call them and talk to them first.

I got 2 of the 4 cables at 1/2 cost this way. I went with the decomp., clutch, and both throttle cables, the front brake cable/hose was fine. The new clutch cable is way smoother than the stock one and all of the cables fit great.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • xdirtbikerx

Posted May 27, 2005 - 11:15 AM

thats awesome, thanks for that info. that is just the kind of info i was hoping someone would have, thanks again! mike.

• Docmarkw

Posted May 27, 2005 - 09:27 PM

If you need longer cables check with Terrycable. I had a longer set made for my XR400 when I went to taller bars and they are great. I put the new bars on my bike leaving the stock cables in place and measured how much longer I needed them to be and gave them a call.

Check this out, if they don't have them in their records you send them your stock cables for the dimensions and they will make you the new cables at 1/2 the cost, but you have to call them and talk to them first.

I got 2 of the 4 cables at 1/2 cost this way. I went with the decomp., clutch, and both throttle cables, the front brake cable/hose was fine. The new clutch cable is way smoother than the stock one and all of the cables fit great.

What was your total bill.

• Docmarkw

Posted May 27, 2005 - 09:33 PM

Forgot to add, how much longer did you go over original cables and how high did you raise your bars.

• Jeff_in_RC

Posted May 31, 2005 - 08:09 AM

Docmarkw,

OK, IIRC I went 2" on the clutch and throttle and 4" on the decomp and all for under $100.00. Not too bad in my book. On the bars I went with the Jimmy Button bars and no risers.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

ignitech programmable XR650L CDI by brianhare

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • Hot  60 replies
Forums
Photo

93 xr650l Restoration Project by Zigster

• 17 replies
Forums
Photo

Which thumper motor for a street tracker? by woz

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • * * * * -
  • Hot  29 replies
Forums
Photo

Wiseco 101MM Spark Knock Low Engine Temps by imandrewparks

• 7 replies
Forums
Photo

2015 XR650L Squeaking noise by Crayjay

• 3 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.