YZ 400 won't run

2 replies to this topic
  • ATAZ

Posted May 26, 2005 - 10:02 AM

I have a YZ400 and it used to ride fine before the winter, I stored it incorrectly and now it won't run. I cleaned the carb and it would fire up but when ran it would always stall, and when it would run it would back fire alot when the throttle was put on steady. So I sent the carb in again to have it cleaned and they "reset the carb to stock", and now I can't even get it to start. Before it was reset the clip was way on the rich side, and the fuel screw was about 1 3/4" turns out. When running it would get hot reallly fast, and would only run on the choke, so I turned out the fuel screw 1/4 turn but nothing realy changed. The valves are in spec, and has a new plug. I am trying to sell the bike but want it to to run right before it sells.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Batman

Posted May 26, 2005 - 02:56 PM

I hate to tell you to do this for a third time but that carb still aint clean . My guess is that the main jet and the needle jet still have lots old gas goo on and in them . You should be able to do this on your own with a few tools and can of carb cleaner . Just lay out the parts in the order that you removed them (no need to remove the slide , pull the needle through the top ). Dont know if I'd bring it back to the dude that "reset the carb to stock" though .
Side note ; do you have fresh gas in the tank ? If it smells funky it needs to be dumped and replaced . Dont fret , I worked on bikes for a living in a previous life and have had to clean the same carb twice on more than one occasion !
You watchin' my back grayracer ?

• oldnbold

Posted May 27, 2005 - 10:42 AM

did you take the slide out? I don't remember the carb that well on my 400 but if the carb is similar to your 03250f, then you may have put the slide plate in upside down which gives identical symptoms to what you described. If the carbs are similar, look down the throat of carb from engine side and you should see a small hole at bottom of slider. If not then the slide plate is upside down. Easy to do wrong and easy to fix.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies
Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies
Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.