breakin in the 450

8 replies to this topic
  • clutchinoregon

Posted May 25, 2005 - 08:19 PM

hey every one, whats up? i just sold my 89 cr 500 and decided to give these 4 strokes a shot. man was i impressed! so impressed i ran right out and bought a 05 yz 450. now, ive never had a NEW bike before....i got most of my breakin in stuff done ( bolts, ect ) but im unsure about the bikes forks. they are way stiff, also the rear is to high for me, i like a tall bike, but this is ridiculous, if i turn the preload down, it should lower it ? no? what effect does that have on the rest of the shock? right now the rear is perfect,rebound ect, its just to high. man, that header pipe sure gets hot fast..... i also drained the coolant out and got some engine ice....besides bolts, takeing it easy for awhile, oil, do i need to do anything else special to break this bike in?thanks.....

• grayracer513

Posted May 25, 2005 - 08:40 PM

How much do you weigh?

• clutchinoregon

Posted May 25, 2005 - 09:00 PM

i currently am 215...... :)

• grayracer513

Posted May 25, 2005 - 09:43 PM

Then this is going to throw you a curve: Apart from the fact that they aren't broken in yet, your forks are too stiff because your springs are too soft.

The bike is sprung for a rider weighing about 165 lbs. With you, or to a slightly lesser extent, me on it, the compression damping has to be cranked up too far because the springs can't do what they should. The rebound doesn't work right either, because the springs aren't pushing hard enough. The right springs make a big diference.

Read these two pages concerning setting up sag and checking spring rate.

http://www.tootechra...ension_tips.htm

http://www.tootechra...pension Tip.htm

Lowering the rear by itself will decrease the head angle (the forks will lay out flatter) and make the bike steer badly.

If your header gets hot enough to glow a dull red after only two minutes at idle, it's....entirely normal. :)

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • phat_450f

Posted May 25, 2005 - 09:54 PM

Man if your anything like me and dont understand the whole suspension set up thing. When i bought my 05 i told the dealership that i wanted the suspension done up for my weight. They had to keep it for a couple of extra days but it was set up the right way. Riding that 450 is like riding on air....very nice...

• clutchinoregon

Posted May 27, 2005 - 05:53 AM

damn, a curve it sure was. 165???? well at least i got a idea of what needs to be done now..... thanks for your help... and for the tip on that header too

• snow

Posted May 27, 2005 - 06:11 PM

Well it sounds like I might have to do a little adjusting my 05 is real stiff too.

• JTWR450

Posted May 28, 2005 - 11:40 AM

Man if your anything like me and dont understand the whole suspension set up thing. When i bought my 05 i told the dealership that i wanted the suspension done up for my weight. They had to keep it for a couple of extra days but it was set up the right way. Riding that 450 is like riding on air....very nice...

I agree totally. While being able to fine tune the set for the your needs of the day. Your shop should be more than willing to help you set up your sag, and show you the finer points of the suspension. It will make your life easier for sure. Then again getting in there and doing it yourself will help you cause.

• BZYZ33

Posted May 29, 2005 - 06:26 AM

Break In.

I ran my bike through three 8-10 minutes rides at 1/4 to 1/2 throttle, letting it cool for about 15 minutes in between each ride. After that I changed the oil and filter, checked all the bolts and it was ready to race. As for the suspension, I weigh 225 and have a stock suspension. One of the Techs at Factory Connection advised me to change the rear spring and also make some adjustments to the front forks. I have not had a chance to do this yet but plan on it soon. I ran Southwick (Ma) yesterday in a local racing event and my body took a beating. Other than breaking the motor in properly and regular oil/filter changes, adjusting the suspension to your weight is critical. Most of the people I ride and race with all have their suspensions dialed in and their ride is much smoother and they finish near or at the top.
Good Luck!

2004 Yamaha YZ450, White Brothers Aluminum Pro Exhaust

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies
Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies
Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies
Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.