1991 xr600r supertrapp, LOUD.

10 replies to this topic
  • marioct

Posted May 25, 2005 - 09:01 AM

I have dualsported my 91 xr600r and the supertrapp is too loud at highway speeds. It looks to have 15, yes 15 discs in the pipe! What should I have in there and would I have to lean out the carb to make it run right?

• Mantrasonica

Posted May 25, 2005 - 09:11 AM

The manufacturer recommends between 6 and 8. My 87 runs best with eight discs. When I bought the bike the pipe had 20 discs :) Ran like crap.

• 1biglung

Posted May 25, 2005 - 09:26 AM

Drop it to 10 and see how she runs. Then go down 1 disk at a time to get the noise at an acceptable level. Then jet accordingly. You shoul get more bottom end with less disks.

Might want to repack it while you are at it. Start out with a fresh pack. If the packing is gone it will sound "tinny" and not have as deep tone.

• miguelitro

Posted May 25, 2005 - 12:29 PM

definatly repack, it will also make your bike run better.

• grreatdog

Posted May 25, 2005 - 05:32 PM

Mine likes 8 and has been rejetted.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • targetdrone

Posted May 25, 2005 - 07:24 PM

I've got 6 on my XL600. It sounds just right, not too loud, and is much lighter and stronger than in stock trim.

• MrShred

Posted May 25, 2005 - 10:48 PM

How do you repack the old Supertrapps? I can't figure out how to remove the core. :)

• Mantrasonica

Posted May 26, 2005 - 08:10 AM

How do you repack the old Supertrapps? I can't figure out how to remove the core. :)

I would think you would have to drill out the rivets. I haven't repacked mine, but that would seem to be the only way.

• MrShred

Posted May 26, 2005 - 10:42 PM

OK, that makes sense, thanks.

• marioct

Posted June 02, 2005 - 12:00 PM

I will try it this week. I will keep you all posted on the progress. Thanks All! :)

• Poe

Posted October 07, 2006 - 06:23 PM

My new-to-me '93 XR650L has an "XR's Only" pipe on it that is apparently just like the old Supertrapps - with the discs and all. In fact, the end cap says "Supertrapp" on it. I don't know if it came with the pipe or the previous owner put it on there. Anyway... it runs great, but it is WAY too loud. If I remember correctly, it only has 6 discs in it, so I don't think I should remove any more. I suspect there is no packing in it at all. I haven't opened it up to see what it looks like inside yet, but I'm definitely going to very soon. I've never repacked a pipe. What do I use - and how much? What do I need to know?

I got the stock pipe with the bike, so if repacking doesn't work, it's going back on until I can afford something else. I'd rather not do that though, because I'm sure it'll throw the jetting off.

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.