carburetor removal / jetting advice

3 replies to this topic
  • x2stroker

Posted May 25, 2005 - 06:47 AM

Guys - my bike (03 YZ450F) seemed to be running lean with a lot of popping and backfiring so I installed the JD Jet Kit. Blue needle 3rd clip, 170 main, and the stock 42 pilot. Now, I can't get the bike to start :) I went completely back to stock and it still won't start. I made sure the gas is fresh, new, plug, fuel line connected but can't get 'er going.

My first thought is that I possibly have dirt in the carb somewhere. In order to clean the carb, do I need to take it completely apart? I'm concerned with disconnecting the wires.... is that necessary? what do you suggest?

Also, if I hold in the hot start lever it will turn over for a second... does that mean it is too rich? Any suggestions?...

• r2millers

Posted May 25, 2005 - 03:49 PM

How about the obvious, turn the pet cock back on? If not, did the float get jambed from the changes?

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Fastest1

Posted May 25, 2005 - 09:16 PM

Is the slide in wrong (easy to do)? Do you have the idle all the way down? 2 common problems after tinkering.

• Ga426owner

Posted May 26, 2005 - 01:25 PM

Guys - my bike (03 YZ450F) seemed to be running lean with a lot of popping and backfiring so I installed the JD Jet Kit. Blue needle 3rd clip, 170 main, and the stock 42 pilot. Now, I can't get the bike to start :) I went completely back to stock and it still won't start. I made sure the gas is fresh, new, plug, fuel line connected but can't get 'er going.

My first thought is that I possibly have dirt in the carb somewhere. In order to clean the carb, do I need to take it completely apart? I'm concerned with disconnecting the wires.... is that necessary? what do you suggest?

Also, if I hold in the hot start lever it will turn over for a second... does that mean it is too rich? Any suggestions?...

my 03 is same jetting w/ JD kit - :D - give it 3 blips of gas before kicking it over (primes the acc pump), try holding the hot start on while kicking it over - it will start and after it is warm it is fine....when mine is totally cold and the carb is completely drained of VPU4 (after each ride)- this is the drill to start it - I usually pull the choke on for 2-3 kicks w/ hot start pulled - then flip off the choke - pull hot start and it fires right up - in cooler temps I actually give it just a little gas with the hot start pulled - it starts after 3-5 kicks every time - and is fine after it is warm -

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Forums
Photo

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies
Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies
Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.