mid range miss

3 replies to this topic
  • dodge03

Posted May 24, 2005 - 08:11 PM

hey out there in thumper land. it has been a while since i have had time to check in on tt forums, been doing alot of riding and even a little jet skiing. i recently picked up a second 03 yzf 450 the problem is when i hold steady throttle like over whoops the bike misses. as far as i know it is all stock except for a fuel air thumb screw on the bottom of the carb i have tried adjusting this mixture but it does not change performance. where should i go from here?

• tmonteton

Posted May 24, 2005 - 08:28 PM

the carb on the 03 is terrible IMO, it sounds like its too rich but would need more info, it could be the main, pilot, or clip and you might have to fool around with all of them and do a lot of testing to get it to go away. I had to try everything possible with jetting on my 03 and could never get it right - not only that but if it was close it would suck at very little differences in altitude and i ride all over the place. I finally put on an edelbrock 40mm carb and got it dialed in - i got sick of that dam stock carb

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • phat_450f

Posted May 24, 2005 - 09:49 PM

yeah my friend had to have his replaced by the edelbrock carb. he hasnt complained about it since...

• Gizabious

Posted May 25, 2005 - 04:37 PM

Lean the needle one clip position (move clip up = needle down = leaner), should help, i had the same problem and this fixed it, i also went richer on the pilot jet from a #42 to a #45 now runs sweet. IMO the carb is fine it's just a matter of getting the jetting sorted to work in the conditions you ride in, same with any bike. :)

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies
Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies
Forums
Photo

100 hrs on 2014 yz450f, shim valves or replace them? by ttr230rider6

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  79 replies
Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies
Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.