Tank shrouds -- Useless weight???

9 replies to this topic
  • mbrownxrl

Posted May 24, 2005 - 06:07 PM

Are the tank shroud needed? I have tried searching thread archives for this question, pardon the newbie-ness but are t he tank shrouds of much use? Supposedly to funnel air into the air-cooled engine on BRP's (mine is a XR650L setup with stock knobbies and a set of laced hubs with 17" street tires including separate chain, sprocket and discs to make changeover quick...) I find the 17's all right for street riding but plan to go back to the 21/18 stock knobs for some pre-hunting season scouting around beautiful Alberta Canada... I have the shrouds in a spare-parts box,,, are they of much use? I seem to recall KLR's have similiar shrouds but not sure if they are deadweight? Please help....
PS> where to find avatar? can digicam shoot down to 80x80? :D
martin B in Edmonton, AB> Canada :)

• frankstr

Posted May 24, 2005 - 06:16 PM

There not that heavy IMO to remove them, I'm sure they help scoop air or they probably would not built them into the bike's design......... :)

• mbrownxrl

Posted May 24, 2005 - 06:21 PM

You're prob'ly right,, I see your 650XR still has them on, but i see lots of Clarke tanks on this site with the shrouds gonzo... is that just cause aftermarket tanks con't have mount holes for shrouds? what means IMO?

• Dual_Dog

Posted May 24, 2005 - 08:04 PM

Are the tank shroud needed? I have tried searching thread archives for this question, pardon the newbie-ness but are t he tank shrouds of much use? Supposedly to funnel air into the air-cooled engine on BRP's (mine is a XR650L setup with stock knobbies and a set of laced hubs with 17" street tires including separate chain, sprocket and discs to make changeover quick...) I find the 17's all right for street riding but plan to go back to the 21/18 stock knobs for some pre-hunting season scouting around beautiful Alberta Canada... I have the shrouds in a spare-parts box,,, are they of much use? I seem to recall KLR's have similiar shrouds but not sure if they are deadweight? Please help....
PS> where to find avatar? can digicam shoot down to 80x80? :D
martin B in Edmonton, AB> Canada :)

The XRL is very similar to the long retired air-cooled XRR. The biggest differences are the detuned motor and the less aggressive (read weak) suspension. Point being is that Honda never put those freakin' wings on the XRR.

About the only time the scoops are of any good is when you're riding over 25 mph. I pitched mine even before I got an aftermarket tank and never had any problems. Not as bulky, it looked cleaner and the bike just felt slimmer.

Check out the Control Panel after log on. You can find standard avatars there or you can grab 'em (copy & paste) from other sites. You'll need imaging software to resize your digital photos, have someone else do it for you, or subscribe to a web hosting service that has a resizing feature as part of the member privileges.

Good luck & keep the rubber side down.

• Max Power

Posted May 24, 2005 - 08:09 PM

You're prob'ly right,, I see your 650XR still has them on, but i see lots of Clarke tanks on this site with the shrouds gonzo... is that just cause aftermarket tanks con't have mount holes for shrouds? what means IMO?

I don't think they play much of a part on air cooled engines. :)

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • mbrownxrl

Posted May 24, 2005 - 08:24 PM

dual dog,,, thanks for the advice,,, found something online avatar-wise, will replace with pix of real bike later,,, thanks for suggestion

• crwmac

Posted May 25, 2005 - 06:38 AM

My opinion...the shrouds are useless. I have a 650L and an oil temp gauge. I noticed no difference in temperature after the shrouds were removed. Anyone who installs a Clark or IMS 4.0 gal. tank has to remove them and I have seen no reports of resultant overheating. Rather than for cooling, I suspect another reason that Honda may have put them on the bike.

I think they may be for looks; to mimic the radiator and shrouds on the water-cooled models, silly if true.

• XR650L_Dave

Posted May 25, 2005 - 08:28 AM

They make a 25-50 F difference in my oil temp from about 25 to 45 mph.

D

• XRKING

Posted May 25, 2005 - 10:39 AM

I agree with XR650L DAVE, they make at least a 20 degree temp difference for my bike.

• XR650L_Dave

Posted May 26, 2005 - 08:23 AM

In my case, I believe my weight (aboot 220) and the fact the stock fork springs are too soft for me, puts the front end low enough that the huuuge front fender blocks a lot of the breeze.

D

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.