Looking at buying 95 650L-anything to be concerned with

17 replies to this topic
  • ttamoneypit

Posted May 24, 2005 - 03:15 PM

95 xr650L 8,000 mi--has lots of parts upgrades--plastic large gas tank,brush guards,DOT legal knobby tires,white brothers exhaust

took it for a ride and it didn't really impress me with power-had an 89 yam XT600 that had only a supertrap exhaust and felt faster-pulling the front wheel with ease

the XR didn't have much balls

and the guy said the owner before him replaced the rear spring--and dam is it stiff and tall--I'm 6'2" 240

the price is pretty good at $2,000--probably offer $1,700

can't find any 650R's around here so I'll probably buy this bike

info wanted--should I not buy this thing --why ?

thanks

• superflymx

Posted May 24, 2005 - 04:28 PM

I have had 3 XR650L and my last 2 had over 20,000 mile with no motor problems at all. Just change the oil and Its good to go. :) :D

• 1biglung

Posted May 24, 2005 - 05:12 PM

I have a 94 and love it :)

• captb

Posted May 24, 2005 - 06:25 PM

I had a 93 for 3 years no problems, except chewed up rear knobbies, if you want more power you will need the 650R.

• RingKingPin

Posted May 24, 2005 - 07:00 PM

The XRL is a nice bike and has it's purpose. If you took one for a ride and were already looking for more, I'd spend the extra time to find one. You can get a bike shipped from anywhere in the U.S. for 300 bucks or less. I had an XT600 in motard trim and it was a great bike. Mine was punched out and lightly massaged and my xr650r would eat that thing in a second! Depending on what you want to do with it too, you can make a dual sport kit on your own for under $100

• Dual_Dog

Posted May 24, 2005 - 07:19 PM

95 xr650L 8,000 mi--has lots of parts upgrades--plastic large gas tank,brush guards,DOT legal knobby tires,white brothers exhaust

took it for a ride and it didn't really impress me with power-had an 89 yam XT600 that had only a supertrap exhaust and felt faster-pulling the front wheel with ease

the XR didn't have much balls

and the guy said the owner before him replaced the rear spring--and dam is it stiff and tall--I'm 6'2" 240

the price is pretty good at $2,000--probably offer $1,700

can't find any 650R's around here so I'll probably buy this bike

info wanted--should I not buy this thing --why ?

thanks

Welcome to TT anyhow. The XRL is a jack of all trades, master of none. It's a cliche' but it's true. If you want more off-road prowess, buy a dirt bike. If you want a go (almost) anywhere and a do (almost) anything bike, buy an L. Probably the biggest thing going for the L is it's bullet-proof. Just change the oil, keep the valves in spec. and lube the chain and you're good to go. Very low maintenance machine.

I used to ride my L exclusively off and on road because it was the only bike I owned. Then I got tired of being tired and working so hard when riding dirt so I bought a dirt bike. There's no comparison between a true dirt bike and dual purpose bike. Just like a dual purpose bike is much better on road than a dirt bike is.

If you're looking to get more punch out of the L, try changing the sprockets and lowering the gearing. I ride with a 14-tooth countershaft sprocket off-road and the huge gap between 1st & 2nd goes away. You can even go lower if all you ride are city streets and wooded trails. My DS $0.02.

• Hayden

Posted May 24, 2005 - 09:37 PM

For 1, it only has 8k on it. Thats not bad. I bought my 94 w/6k on it in Feb 2005. Bike is pretty much new. The extras are nice and you wont be disappointed unless your just a balls out rider. I have 14/47 gearing and it worked great in Moab this last march. I swear I dumped that pig 20 times out there and didnt break a thing. It is just indistructable. The thing will climb a tree if you want. It will pretty much go anywhere and do anything you want it to. How can you beat that???

Hayden

94 L

Full White Brothers
Corbin
Clarke 4.7
K/N
Carb jetted to 55/160
14/47 gearing
Arrow flex bars
Acerbis Hand Guards
650R tail light
Get out of my way, Im comming through........

• ttamoneypit

Posted May 25, 2005 - 08:32 AM

thanks guys--I'll probably get it--can't afford to spend $3,000 + to get a 650R and then more cash to get it street legal

this bike is perfect for what I want--just a toy to ride to work and around my property

I'll have to look into the carb to make sure they swapped jets when the exhaust was added

I was on the street with it so the knobby could have been spinning ,making it feel less powerful than it is

and lets say I end up not liking it--I can always sell it for the same or higher price when I'm done with it

you guys are great--been reading a few threads and its funny the way the L vs's R debate gets so personal

I'm on z28.com BB also and those guys bicker over LT1 an LS1 all the time

my pride N joy is my 89 TTA--thats turbo trans am--Buick 3.8 Turbo POWER--heavily modded-over 600hp

• XR650L_Dave

Posted May 25, 2005 - 08:34 AM

make sure the standard mods have been done- that'll wake it up!
low-cost, too.

Dave

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • ttamoneypit

Posted August 22, 2005 - 04:43 PM

well that 95 was sold out from under me--my fault for not calling

going to look ata 93 L tomorrow for $1,500---new chain and sprockets-new 5 gal tank--2 extra tires

has 12,000 mi

wife is bitching up a storm over this 1--I've been spending way too much money this yr

oh well I guess its time to work some overtime to shut her up

that and I won't be putting $60+ in the avalanche gas tank for a while cause I'll ride the bike to work

• RingKingPin

Posted August 22, 2005 - 05:23 PM

well that 95 was sold out from under me--my fault for not calling

wife is bitching up a storm over this 1--I've been spending way too much money this yr

Sold out from under you??? LOL, it's three months later!!! :D :D :eek:

Sounds like it's time to get your priorities right. Sell that ugly avalanche and get a bike!! :eek: :D :D :eek:

• ttamoneypit

Posted August 22, 2005 - 06:36 PM

yeah that was a while ago got bummed out when I didn't get it so I didn't come back to this BB to post about it

hey now--I love the avalanche--reminds me of the fullsize blazers--at least the roomy interior does anyway and I had the ecm reprogrammed and this thing is actually pretty quick for such a big beast--just gotta cutoff the huge stock mufflerand put on a dynomax ofr flowmaster so it can sound like a v-8 should

almost ogt the this latest L for $1,300--he needed cash quick on saturday afternoon but my credit union was closed

• ttamoneypit

Posted August 22, 2005 - 06:38 PM

note to self--don't try to type fast while drinking MGD

• captb

Posted August 22, 2005 - 07:22 PM

Just tell the wife how much you'll save on gas.

• roadcam

Posted August 23, 2005 - 07:12 AM

pushed a motorcycle aside for a friggin' CAGE ??? ... you need professional help ... :D

• bigredmachine

Posted June 20, 2008 - 06:56 AM

I love my 650 l but the one thing is i am a heavier faster rider, the suspension doesnt hold up as well as an 650 r but, can a 650 r ride down the middle of the street threw town. ( well at least not being transfered into a xr 650 L )
See the xr 650 r people are always making there bikes into what we already have, I think they are jealous :p.
Just some little ribbing for those 650 r guys. No doubt those 650 r's are a great b ike. I wouldn't own one of them too if i didnt think they were.
Jack of all trades and master of none.
Rob
:thumbsup:

• tfb4me

Posted June 21, 2008 - 11:23 AM

Im sorry... you said the L is lacking in power???? Thats crazy.. Im 6 ft 1 245 lbs and I have all the power I need.Yeah id be worried about the motor if it felt like it was lacking in power.Good thing it was sold. Theres a gearing thing there too.I have tried from a 16 down to a 14.I now run a 15 more in the middle.The 14 off road is a dream but nasty on road.Guess it all depends on what you want to do with it.They make great wheelie bikes with lower gearing.But id be a little worried if it was gutless.Did it smoke at all?

• 57thMETALHEAD

Posted July 14, 2008 - 11:14 PM

I am not sure what gearing I have up front but I have a 45 on the rear sprocket. I did dave's carb trick adn it will pick up the front tire and carry it in 1st and 2nd. Do the mods it will impress you.

Related Content

Reviews

Honda XR650L 2016 by Chris.GVS

Honda XR650L 2016
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

Engine Loping/Sputtering by tcaldwell

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 2 replies
Forums
Photo

DirttyPig 2005 Xr650l Prroject! by braapmebb1moretime

• 22 replies
Forums
Photo

2015 XR650L Squeaking noise by Crayjay

• 3 replies
Forums
Photo

Which thumper motor for a street tracker? by woz

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • * * * * -
  • Hot  29 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.