04 450 maintance

4 replies to this topic

Posted May 24, 2005 - 06:40 AM

i am in the process of getting my 450 re-built (piston/rings) for maintenance... i raced this bike last year and the yamaha mechanic suggested replacing the lower connecting rod bearing as well.... again this is preventative maintenance so i'm not sure if this is needed....
i change my oil every three rides and the filter every six...(practice 4x week and using the bike hard)
what's your guy opinion... would you replace the bearing as well or is it a unnecessary??

• 450GN

Posted May 25, 2005 - 06:55 AM

well i would say just compare the price of the new bearing... what 25$? compared to the price of damage it can cause if it fails... would have to resize the rod or cut the crank or get a new crank... i would say go ahead and replace it just for the peace of mind that you have a new motor essentially and should be good to go another year..

i am no pro mechanic but that is what i would do!
good luck

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • fowler175

Posted May 25, 2005 - 02:52 PM

You should be able to check the bearing by measuring any slop/movement to see if it needs to be replaced.(not sure what the specs are) A bearing may be only a few bucks, but bear in mind that you would still have to split the cases, remove the crankshaft, and get the crankpin pressed out and re-assembled. Labour isn't cheap either!

• r2millers

Posted May 27, 2005 - 11:05 AM

I agree with Jonesy, have your mechanic show you the play in the rod that suggests a new bearing. If you keep the oil clean, and change it regularly, this shouldn't be a maintanence issue like rings, camchain, etc.
The cost to split the cases will be the issue, the bearing is relatively cheap.
I don't know of anyone ever experiencing crank bearing failure with good maintenance in all my years.

• curtains23

Posted May 27, 2005 - 11:26 AM

Ive had a crank seize, they give very little warning and when the bearing goes it will
usually take the crank pin with it..its like a hay fever tablet, take one and you will never know if you needed it, dont and your life's a misery.

Related Content

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies

Help with 2000 yz426 by weekend woods racer

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  36 replies

Is the 2016 GYTR Yamaha YZ450F too fast? by Fryboy

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • * - - - -
  • Hot  241 replies

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.