help needed re: buying 450F

4 replies to this topic

Posted May 24, 2005 - 06:18 AM

need some kind of imput here. I currently ride a 03 yz250f, for the past 2 years now. I have not ridden a bike before that though, All my friends ride 250 2 smokes, except for one guy with a 125, now i weight 185lbs and my 250f is all decked out all aftermarket parts and suspenion work as well, i just find a need more power to keep up, But is that more power to much for me? I have not ever riden a 250 2 smoke or a 450 so i am worried about making the wrong choice, what are everyones thought on that? I would even wait for the 06 if it has an alluminum frame to make it lighter for me, But i would like to hear what everone has to say before i jump head first in. By the way we only please ride at a friends MX track - SX track.

Thank you in advance guys.!

• SureBlue

Posted May 25, 2005 - 10:58 AM

You have to be in good shape and strong if you want a 450 for mx/sx track. The possible '06 aluframe will not make the bike much lighter than '03-'05. it is the rotating mass that makes the bike feel heavy.
On the other hand the 450 power is smoother to control than a 250 smoker and you make less mistakes with the 450. But the smoker has good power and feels even lighter than your 250 4-stroke.
You should have a good test ride on both bikes, not just one lap but 20 minutes, then you know what I mean.
Have you tested a newer 250 thumper? Remember also it is 90 % rider.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • spinin

Posted May 25, 2005 - 05:16 PM

my 05 450 feels just as light as my rm 250 97 the the 450 has a more of a controlable power compaired to my rm

• tnl

Posted May 25, 2005 - 05:32 PM

Why haven't you ridden any of your friends 2 smokes?

Posted May 28, 2005 - 05:52 AM

I havent ridden them just because I only started riding 2 years ago i rode a KX125 for 3 times then bought a Yamaha 250F and been riding that ever since, And everone tells me that you need to clutch the 2 stroke like crazy and its not the same jumping with it, and coming into a corner or a turn is not the same, blablabla, Long and short, I think that they are afraid i might drop there bikes or hurt myself pushing the limit of myself and the bike.

so this is why i need the help looking into a bike .

Related Content

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

• 0 replies

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies

Need help by Goforaride

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  68 replies

100 hrs on 2014 yz450f, shim valves or replace them? by ttr230rider6

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  79 replies

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.