Wr450f Vs. Yz450f

9 replies to this topic
  • ImpuLse20110

Posted May 24, 2005 - 04:20 AM

What is the difference between the Wr450f and the yz 450f? I see that the Wr is about $300 more retail than the yz?

Which is more maintenance?

• kevin204

Posted May 24, 2005 - 11:24 AM

The WR has lights, softer timing, more restrictive exhaust, electric start, and a wide ratio gearbox. Probably some other things I am leaving out too.

• grayracer513

Posted May 24, 2005 - 03:55 PM

Probably some other things I am leaving out too.

Like an softer suspension, it's quieter.

The WR is an off-road bike for dual-sport, trail riding, woods racing, etc.

The YZF is a full on MX race bike.

• Chipstien

Posted May 24, 2005 - 07:01 PM

The biggest difference is the transmission. The WR has a wide-ratio 5 speed while the YZ has a close-ratio 4 speed. The trans makes the YZF a poor choice for an off-road bike. Plus the WR has the lights, 18 inch rear wheel, spark arrester, larger gas tank, slightly different cam timing and the magic button.

So it boils down to:

Offroad riding- Get the WR

Closed circuit racing- Get the YZF

Both- Get the WR and remove the lights and starter and install a YZF cam and have the best of both worlds. :)

• tmonteton

Posted May 24, 2005 - 08:32 PM

i wouldnt say the yzf makes a bad off road bike at all, if you have the resources and know how you can make it as good as you want - ive set mine up to the point that its probably the best off road bike ive ridden and ive tested them all. Youd be surprised at what you can do to it, but a lot of it boils down to how good of rider you are and what you can handle, its not for the faint of heart thats for sure but IMO my YZF will out perform a WR off road any day

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • ncmountainman

Posted May 25, 2005 - 05:07 AM

i wouldnt say the yzf makes a bad off road bike at all, if you have the resources and know how you can make it as good as you want - ive set mine up to the point that its probably the best off road bike ive ridden and ive tested them all. Youd be surprised at what you can do to it, but a lot of it boils down to how good of rider you are and what you can handle, its not for the faint of heart thats for sure but IMO my YZF will out perform a WR off road any day

one big DITTO there,13/52 gearing and a rekluse clutch,some bottom end improvements and voila;one tight woods HS weapon :D way faster than my wr ever thought of being. the CR trannie actually helps me in the woods :) i guess it all depends on if your gonna be riding woods or wide open.

• jtrone

Posted May 25, 2005 - 09:54 AM

Is the YZ-450F a red sticker bike? :)

• ONLY4STROKES

Posted May 25, 2005 - 02:01 PM

Make a WZ and save some weight. :)

• Chipstien

Posted May 25, 2005 - 04:51 PM

Anything is possible but to over come the tall 1st gear you need to change gearing to 13/52 as you have done. However now your top speed is too slow for the open stuff. The other option is the Rekluse as has been mentioned but you can say what you want, all the auto-clutch is doing is slipping the clutch which in turns shortens the life of it. Keep in mind I am strickly talking the really tight and mountainous single track like here in the Cascades or the Rockies. Even with 14/53 gearing on my YZF there were numerous times that I needed the lower first, hence the reason that the 13 is on the front. Whatever floats your boat, right. :)

• ncmountainman

Posted May 25, 2005 - 07:09 PM

i'm guessin' it still does 65 easy enough,which is fast enough for any straights i've got ! as far as the clutch it slips perfectly everytime. there are some tricks for quicker engagement and you can actually control the slippage with the throttle once ya get the hang of it. the same clutch was in my WR for over 1,000 mi and the install gap never changed after it was set from break in. which means the plates did not wear at all, believe it or not. and i ran some pretty tight stuff,in second gear with 13/52(in the wr) which is a little taller than my 1st gear now. so i'm not worried about either of those problems. i believe i mentioned tight woods :) the wr was like riding a desert bike in the woods; heavy,gappy shifts,and a 5th gear that i never used. the yz makes for a much more competative machine in the forest.

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.