Changing Oil!

15 replies to this topic
  • marcusmoberg

Posted May 23, 2005 - 10:19 PM

I'll tell you that changing the oil on my 2000 Yamaha WR400F is a pain in the a$$! I took the oil strainer off and cleaned it and put it back on and oil leaked from the bolt on the oil strainer because the copper gasket has scratches and cuts on it! I bought a copper gasket almost like it and put it on but apparently the gasket did not seal because it was a hair bigger. So i'll either have to order a new copper gasket for $2.06, go to a dealership and see if they have one or if they can order one. I've went to all of the auto parts store in my area and they don't have it! Has anybody had problems with any copper gaskets or any o-rings leaking? It's a pain in the a$$! :)

• Hamish

Posted May 24, 2005 - 12:22 AM

It's a pain in the a$$! :)

maybe you should try using some KY?

• Slowmotion426

Posted May 24, 2005 - 01:07 AM

...Yes, i've had that're not alone...I replaced the gasket... :)

• mayner

Posted May 24, 2005 - 03:24 AM

Don't take this wrong but I've found there a few things you can do "on the cheap" when it comes to oil changes, gasket changes in general, etc.

Just go order the proper parts and get to riding! ;-)

• farkawi

Posted May 24, 2005 - 05:04 AM

There is no substitute for new parts. However, if it is just a plain solid copper washer that is not too mangled, they can ususally be cycled a couple of times by heating them with a propane torch to let them expand so you can get another "squish" out of them. Small burrs or imperfections can be dressed lightly with a file.

• Chris_from_Oz

Posted May 24, 2005 - 05:56 AM

Spend $2.06, problem solved..... :)

• Texas4play

Posted May 24, 2005 - 07:24 AM

Order two and you'll be set

• MotoGoalie

Posted May 24, 2005 - 10:09 AM

Order two and you'll be set

Dude! That's $4.12. Who's got that kind of coin?

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Indy_WR450

Posted May 24, 2005 - 03:53 PM

Welcome back Marcus!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• simch

Posted May 24, 2005 - 04:45 PM

Hey Marcus, go sell your ass on the street for a couple of weeks. You should get best part of $2.06 in that time!! HAhahaha!

Posted May 24, 2005 - 04:55 PM

Yeah the oil changes suck on these bikes. I don't change oil anymore...... I just add when needed.

heeee he heee.

• bluebike1999

Posted May 25, 2005 - 12:36 AM

ask a policeman for his bathroom face cloth.
that's a copper washer.

• simch

Posted May 25, 2005 - 12:36 AM

Yeah the oil changes suck on these bikes. I don't change oil anymore...... I just add when needed.

heeee he heee.

with good quality "mazola" I hope........!?!? :)

• J_DOGG

Posted May 25, 2005 - 08:38 AM

I say.... F- that strainer thing.....

I just change the filter ever 3rd time and keep good oil in it all the time....

• Frostbite

Posted May 25, 2005 - 09:11 AM

Hey Marcus, like Fakawi said, heat it up and it should hold you over 'till you get a new one.

• tweek

Posted May 26, 2005 - 07:51 PM

Does the Thumpertalk store have the "marcusmoberg" tee shirt yet?

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.