Help...my radiator is crushed!!!

12 replies to this topic
  • black_n_blue_thumper

Posted May 23, 2005 - 07:38 PM

Does anyone besides my dealer carry replacement radiators. Mine is crushed pretty bad and when I went to put my new Unibiker Rad Guards on I had to try to pull some of the bends out. BIG MISTAKE. :D It starting leaking like swiss cheese. Actually is wasnt that bad but it does have a few leaks in it. I wonder if the local radiator shop can pull it into shape and fix the leaks or do I need to order a new one. I am planning a riding trip for the weekend and I am leaving on Thursday. This sucks. Any advice from you guys would sure be great. Thanks is advance, Black n Blue. :)

• 99wr400

Posted May 23, 2005 - 07:49 PM

Depending on where the cracks are, you can have a local welding shop weld them up, although they may have to remove some of the thin "fins" that run between the coolant "lines" in the radiator. It may not look pretty, but it will be a lot better than JB welding it, or putting radiator leak sealer in the coolant.

• slotracer577

Posted May 23, 2005 - 08:24 PM

Does anyone besides my dealer carry replacement radiators. Mine is crushed pretty bad and when I went to put my new Unibiker Rad Guards on I had to try to pull some of the bends out. BIG MISTAKE. :D It starting leaking like swiss cheese. Actually is wasnt that bad but it does have a few leaks in it. I wonder if the local radiator shop can pull it into shape and fix the leaks or do I need to order a new one. I am planning a riding trip for the weekend and I am leaving on Thursday. This sucks. Any advice from you guys would sure be great. Thanks is advance, Black n Blue. :)

Send it to mylers repair in Utah. I think they say 1 day turn around. They fixed my left side radiator after I tore it apart on a tree. As good as new and less than $100.

John

• RC876

Posted May 23, 2005 - 08:52 PM

I agree Mylers does a good job. The are fast and inexpensive.

Was one of the few jobs I let go out of house. I called the owner right after I received the first rad back and told him what a good job he did.

• jchantzWR400F

Posted May 24, 2005 - 06:16 AM

Another vote for Mylers. Very quick service and my repaired radiator has held up for about 2 years.

• ncmountainman

Posted May 24, 2005 - 06:25 AM

i just picked up a set of fluidyne(IMS) radiators and they are stout,30% more cooling also $379,but worth it i'd say :) you mangle one of these things and you've got more to worry about than where to get it fixed :D

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Texas4play

Posted May 24, 2005 - 07:08 AM

Cost on the oem left rad is about $180.00. Retail is around $300.00. Mylers is an option for lower cost but, it will have to factory fit in order for the rad guards to fit properly. I warped my left rad and ordered the oem (parts mgr gave me a deal). I discovered the IMS fluidyne after the fact and would have bought the complete set from them had I known before hand. Your issue is time so, whoever can deliver results quicker is the way to go. Good Luck!

• bdruff

Posted May 24, 2005 - 08:03 AM

I tore mine nearly in half diving into wet sand in 4th gear. I checked with the dealer and it was $350. I found one on ebay for $120. They are there a lot. Mine works great. I'd like to repair my old one if possible but it's pretty bad

• barefootbob

Posted May 24, 2005 - 11:32 AM

www.motorcycleradiators.com Myler's

• WR_Woody

Posted May 24, 2005 - 03:54 PM

You don't know how glad I am to see this thread. After wrecking the WR last Monday and breaking the collar bone, I was afraid to find out how much the radiator fixing was gonna cost. Left side, first two rows of fins are crushed/flattened. This looks like a good alternative to replacement. Thanks! :)

• black_n_blue_thumper

Posted May 24, 2005 - 07:24 PM

I found a local guy who is supposed to be really awesome with radiators, so I am giving him a shot. I just dropped it off at his house, and he is gonna get to work on it still tonight. Thanks a bunch for all of your help and suggestions, if this doesnt work out I will contact Mylers. By the way, my dealer wants $299.33 for the left side rad. :) I will let you all know how this works out. Thanks again, Black n Blue.

• black_n_blue_thumper

Posted May 24, 2005 - 07:29 PM

Man, I just looked at the Mylers link. Did you guys see some of the before and after pics. Holy Shizit, some of those are really impressive. I guess mine isnt that bad after all. Looks like he does really good work. :)

• black_n_blue_thumper

Posted May 27, 2005 - 08:21 AM

Update: Radiator fixed to factory specs, Unibikers on and fit like a dream. Cost 40 bucks. :) :) :D :D :worthy: I am one happy camper. Thanks agian for all your replies.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.