Renthal or Pro taper??

12 replies to this topic
  • flintlock28

Posted May 23, 2005 - 06:54 PM

My 2004 Yz 450f handlebars have a slight bend in them from a low speed wash-out crash. I don't trust them now, and want to either use standard 7/8 Renthal's or Protaper 7/8 bars. I just want the dimensions to match the stock bars. Of the two bars, which ones would you go with, and why? I think the Renthal's Carmichael type are a direct replacement. Give me your opinions of both bars.....by the way, I'm too cheap to upgrade to 1 1/8" bars , so don't bother trying to convince me to upgrade. Don

• dunecj2a

Posted May 23, 2005 - 09:08 PM

Pro Taper 7/8 -Henry/Reed bend. Awsome bend for Yamaha's. Pro Tapers don't vibrate as bad and can take an a$$ kicking :D I know from experience :D . Team Yamaha bar :) Team Suzuki bar :) Ricky's a so so rider and he did pretty good at Supercross this year hangin on to PT's. Oh yeah and he didn't do too bad at Hangtown on Sunday :worthy:

• 35yz450F

Posted May 23, 2005 - 09:12 PM

I have the Pro Taper 7/8. They are stronger, but heavier. I've been down numerous times (including a high speed bike tumble crash) and they haven't budged. The CR mid bend is pretty close to stock.

• phat_450f

Posted May 23, 2005 - 09:51 PM

pro taper... want to get some for my 450 but havent bent my stock renthals yet and dont have the heart to replace a perfectly set of bars....

• flintlock28

Posted May 24, 2005 - 02:17 AM

Thanks guys.....by the way, since I'm just shy of 6 feet tall, Do you think the taller Henry/Reed model would fit me better than the CR mid bend????

Don

• Chris_from_Oz

Posted May 24, 2005 - 05:53 AM

Thanks guys.....by the way, since I'm just shy of 6 feet tall, Do you think the taller Henry/Reed model would fit me better than the CR mid bend????

Don

Go for Jimmy Button Renthals! :)

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • mnm567

Posted May 24, 2005 - 06:36 AM

I'm 6'1" and I just replaced the stock Renthals with a set of moose bars (because that is all the shop had where I wrecked my bike) that are the CR high bend and they seem to fit me a lot better than whatever bend came on the '05 450. Be careful of the new Renthal 7/8" bars, they seem to be a lot thinner, less material than they used to be. Trying to save weight like everyone else. Matt

• flintlock28

Posted May 24, 2005 - 12:27 PM

I think I'm gonna go with the Pro-Taper CR high bend. That info about the thinner Renthal material doesn't sound good.

Don

• tnl

Posted May 24, 2005 - 02:25 PM

Do a search on this topic!

• MotoMike33

Posted May 24, 2005 - 05:06 PM

Pro tapers I know can take a lot more of a beating than the renthals.

• flintlock28

Posted May 24, 2005 - 05:14 PM

Thanks everyone, I just ordered the Pro-taper CR high bend bars from Rocky Mountain atv/mc $ 58.99. I'm pretty happy with the stock fit, but I think the higher height will help out with less bending over.

Don

• Chipstien

Posted May 24, 2005 - 06:52 PM

No contest.... Pro Taper SE. You made the right choice. :)

• Satch0922

Posted May 24, 2005 - 06:55 PM

Pro Taper oversize bars....Windham bend. Worth the money

Related Content

Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • 1 review
  • Last review by Tommyk_55
  • On January 15, 2017
Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Forums
Photo
Supercross

Wilson the Blue Privateer by jetfuel

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  50 replies
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.