Got my Radiator Guards, but...........

6 replies to this topic
  • Bill

Posted February 21, 2001 - 03:56 PM

I bought the rad guards from Thumper and it appears that the air viens have to come off the radiator. It'll be very muddy here in PA (as soon as it thaws :)) and I was considering sheet metal screwing the viens to the outside of the guards and grinding off the extra threads on the rad side of the guard.

Or will the guards be enough to keep the radiators from packing with mud?

Bill

------------------
86TT225, 99WR, WR timing, throttle stop trimmed, air box lid removed, White Bros head pipe, silencer and air filter. De-octopussed. Works frame guards and Thumper Rad Guards. Odometer and headlight removed. Moose hand and mud guards. YZ stock tank, IMS seat and number plate. Renthal Jimmy Button "highs" and Renthal Soft half waffle grips. AMA, SETRA, Happy Ramblers MXC.

• mcarp

Posted February 21, 2001 - 05:24 PM

If you figure this out, let me know. I haven't had a problem with mud packing it, but I rarely get roosted :) Maybe a a few chunks on it now and again that washes off easily.

I'm thinking if you're going to riding MX like you say you are :D, the modification will probably come in handy for roost protection and increase cooling. Go for it. Let us know how it goes.

• jj

Posted February 21, 2001 - 05:39 PM

Hey Bill, I've got the Flatland guards, something in the back of my mind tells me they're the same as the Thumper guards.

Anyhoo, I live out here in rainy, soggy old Washington. I see my fair share of mud. Never had a problem...

------------------
JJ from WA - 99 WR; WR timed, EKN Needle, Scotts stabalizer, Scotts triple clamps, Pro-Tapers, Michelin S-12's, Terry Cable hot start, MSR Raptor clutch lever, Moose skid plate, Works frame guards, Acerbis Pro Rally guards, Renthal MD-soft grips, Factory Effex graphics, YZ IMS seat base, YZ Factory Effex seat foam and gripper seat cover, YZ rear fender

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Bill

Posted February 22, 2001 - 03:54 AM

JJ,

In doing my research of radiator guards here at TT. It appears that Flatland makes them for Thumper, but for whatever reason Thumper was less expensive.

Mike,

You can see how it works in June :)

later
Bill

------------------
86TT225, 99WR, WR timing, throttle stop trimmed, air box lid removed, White Bros head pipe, silencer and air filter. De-octopussed. Works frame guards and Thumper Rad Guards. Odometer and headlight removed. Moose hand and mud guards. YZ stock tank, IMS seat and number plate. Renthal Jimmy Button "highs" and Renthal Soft half waffle grips. AMA, SETRA, Happy Ramblers MXC.

• TheBOS

Posted February 22, 2001 - 04:06 AM

what is thumper's site? or how can I contact them?

i think I am going to go with their guards as well since they seem to highly recommended on this site.

• Chris_C

Posted February 22, 2001 - 05:50 AM

Bill,
I have the Devol guards on my '00 WR400. Although they may not be as strong as the Thumper guards, I believe they are about the same dimensions - just thicker Al.

I do get roosted occasionally and was worried about mud and tiny rocks getting through the grating. Therefore, I trimmed the leading and trailing edges of all the plastic fins and drastically cut the outside fin. This allowed me to fit the plastic guards in their normal position and mount the Al guards around them. It does make it a little more difficult to mount the Al guards, but I feel that the added protection is worth it.

I just figured that if I was going to discard the plastic guards anyway, it wouldn't hurt to trim them to see if I could get them to work with the Al guards. Try it, you might like it.

• Guest_Guest_*

Posted February 22, 2001 - 06:39 AM

Bill,
I'll go easy on the throttle as I pass. I know you don't like to get that thing dirty.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.