Clattery Chain

3 replies to this topic
  • Strattos

Posted May 23, 2005 - 02:13 PM

I've had my 02 WR426 for two years now and am still over the moon with it.

The only hiccup i've had, and its a minor one, is a very clattery chain/chain guide sound, which other riders have commented on and an O-ring chain which doesn't appear to hold lube.

Its been there every since I bought it (second hand).

I clean it regularly, lube it after each ride/wash, and keep it properly adjusted, but no matter what I do it seems to run dry after five minutes of riding and makes a hell of a racket.

I've checked some of the usual signs of wear indicated in the manual (measuring a set number of links and seeing if its within spec etc).

The sprockets are in perfect condition and I cant find anything loose anywhere.

Anyone had the same problem?

• jpryce

Posted May 23, 2005 - 03:24 PM

I think I saw the solution to this posted here about a year ago. Remove the rear mount on the forward chain guide, clean both the guide and swingarm surface with brake cleaner, and lay down a thick bead of silicone on the swingarm. After it sets up for a while, reattach the guide, and wipe off whatever squeezes out from underneath. Clattering sound solved!

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • BEAN329

Posted May 24, 2005 - 07:55 PM

I used 3M weather strip cement on mine.

• phat_450f

Posted May 24, 2005 - 10:34 PM

Thats a good idea with the 3m tape. I will have to do that next time i work on the bike...

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.