whats a leak jet?

3 replies to this topic
  • xrcrash

Posted May 23, 2005 - 01:28 PM

OK i have been out of the loop for a while, but what the h@ll is a leak jet and why do i want to solder it shut?
thanks for the help!

• Indy_WR450

Posted May 23, 2005 - 01:34 PM

Look in the bottom of the float bowl and you will see a small brass jet. That is your leak jet. In Colorado you may want to just buy a 40 leak jet due to your altitude. :)

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • clark4131

Posted May 23, 2005 - 01:35 PM

The Leak Jet is located in the bottom of the float bowl and helps regulate the duration of the Accelerator Pump squirt. The smaller the Leak jet, the longer the squirt, as less gas "leaks" back into the float bowl and is therefore available for the Accelerator Pump. Changing it reduces/eliminates the off idle bog common to the WR bikes. Soldering it shut provides the maximum duration for the squirt. When you get into modifying your intake and exhaust, you can get into a situation where so much air is flowing that your squirt duration is no longer adequate in compensating for the low vacuum condition found in four strokes when coming off of idle. The AP squirt is designed to compensate for this lack of vacuum which is unable to "suck" enough gas into the carb. The Accelerator pump mechanically squirts a measured amount of gas into the carb, artificially boosting the RPM's until the vacuum of the engine builds up enough to start sucking gas on its own. Then again, I may be totally wrong...My wife tells me that all the time...SC

• xrcrash

Posted May 24, 2005 - 10:13 AM

Thanks for the help, and dont worry i am always wrong with my wife to. so it cant be just you.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.