How to change jet (03XR650R)

11 replies to this topic
  • honkylips

Posted May 23, 2005 - 01:08 PM

Anything to watch out for, or is it pretty self explanatory? It looks like you can access the jet without removing the carb or anything else?

• JackAttack

Posted May 23, 2005 - 01:28 PM

Piece of cake. :)

I don't remember if it is the 400 or the 650, but there is a small white piece of plastic in the bottom of the bowl surrounding the main. That piece must go back in the right way and could fall outwithout notice if not careful. :D

:)

• BWB63

Posted May 23, 2005 - 02:52 PM

Piece of cake. :)

I don't remember if it is the 400 or the 650, but there is a small white piece of plastic in the bottom of the bowl surrounding the main. That piece must go back in the right way and could fall outwithout notice if not careful. :D

Yes, Yes, yes, been there. That is the XR400. The XR650R has a brass one.

• GlocksRock

Posted May 23, 2005 - 05:08 PM

Hey I'm doing the uncorking right now on my 650r, I have put in the HRC needle and just have to do the main and pilot. Do you have to remove the 4 screws and the entire bowl or can you get to the jets through the 17mm (a guess) plug in the very bottom?

Thanks

• frankstr

Posted May 23, 2005 - 06:31 PM

Hey, Glocksrock you need to take the bowl off to replace the pilot jet..
You can replace just the main thru the plug on the bottom of bowl...... :)

• Max Power

Posted May 23, 2005 - 07:30 PM

Hey, Glocksrock you need to take the bowl off to replace the pilot jet..
You can replace just the main thru the plug on the bottom of bowl...... :)

Exactly.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • GlocksRock

Posted May 23, 2005 - 09:04 PM

Great, more screws to possibly strip out. Do you also have to remove the larger screw holding the forked piece of metal? I only ask cause I attempted to remove it and began to strip the screw. It seems to really be in there. The smaller screws don't seem to be much of a problem. Why in the heck didn't they just use hex heads?

• JackAttack

Posted May 23, 2005 - 09:16 PM

The best thing to do is grip the sides of the heads of the screws with a GOOD set of needle nose pliers, to get them started.

Go to ACE hardware and replace them with Allen screws. :)

:D

• Desertskyy

Posted May 24, 2005 - 07:43 PM

As mentioned earlier replace them with Allen head screws. The one screw that you stripped out is real tough to get out. I used a small hammer type impact tool to get mine out.

Good luck

• RJC

Posted May 25, 2005 - 05:31 PM

Great, more screws to possibly strip out. Do you also have to remove the larger screw holding the forked piece of metal? I only ask cause I attempted to remove it and began to strip the screw. It seems to really be in there. The smaller screws don't seem to be much of a problem. Why in the heck didn't they just use hex heads?

The link arm set screw head stripped out on mine. A pair of 6" needle nose vise grip pliers took care of that. I would think any kind of impact driver would be ill-advised on carb fasteners. You do have the manual, right? :)

• GlocksRock

Posted May 25, 2005 - 07:21 PM

No, I don't have the manual yet.

I removed the 4 screws holding the float chamber and realized that the larger screw doesn't have to come out, so I just left it. None of the other screws gave me any troubles.

I finished up the uncorking, got it all put back together, and finally got a chance to take it out. Holy cow what a difference. Wasn't able to really test it out on my side streets, I should be able to stretch her legs this weekend.

• JackAttack

Posted May 25, 2005 - 09:10 PM

Holy cow what a difference.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Fell Off Trailer by usafxr

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • Hot  43 replies
Forums
Photo

XR650L super moto wheels by greggkklee

• Hot  28 replies
Forums
Photo

ignitech programmable XR650L CDI by brianhare

• Hot  60 replies
Reviews

Honda XR650L 2016 by Chris.GVS

Honda XR650L 2016
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

Engine Loping/Sputtering by tcaldwell

• 2 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.