Any tips to improve low end grunt?

5 replies to this topic
  • bandit99

Posted May 23, 2005 - 11:36 AM

I have a 05 WR450 and love it. I am coming off an XR400 which was all low end with no top end. I realize with a bike that revs to 11k you have a longer power band and need to feather the clutch more. I just wish I could get some more chug out of the bottom end. I have the stock pipe on it with the silencer taken out. I want to keep it under 96 db so as to not piss too many people off and not get a ticket. I realize uncorking it would give me power but if there are any other options I'd like to hear them. I have gone 1 size up on the pilot jet and have the stock main jet. Gray wire is cut. Will dropping a tooth on the fron sproket help?

• Bamster

Posted May 23, 2005 - 11:48 AM

Drop one tooth on the front sprocket.

• Indy_WR450

Posted May 23, 2005 - 12:24 PM

Power Now (not the plus), 48 pilot, zero leak jet ( take the stocker and solder it shut), Boyesen quickshot cover, 13/50 gearing and she will be a handful. :) I run the 40 leak jet in the summer to tame her down!

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • new04450

Posted May 23, 2005 - 02:01 PM

besides dropping a tooth- you can do like I did- Drop 10 pounds

• Dan_Lorenze

Posted May 23, 2005 - 03:44 PM

Power Now (not the plus), 48 pilot, zero leak jet ( take the stocker and solder it shut), Boyesen quickshot cover, 13/50 gearing and she will be a handful. :D I run the 40 leak jet in the summer to tame her down!

This is all great advise. The zero leak jet is on the extreme side but other than that all these things will get you the bottom end you're looking for. While the gearing and Powernow units work great they do take some top end characteristics away, good for woods and trails and not so great for wide open stuff..

Dan :)

• dirtstiff

Posted May 23, 2005 - 08:09 PM

52/14 Gearing will do it..

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.