XR650L Carb. Plastic

11 replies to this topic
  • crwmac

Posted May 23, 2005 - 06:38 AM

A friend and I that both just recently purchased XR650L’s installed the standard mods this past weekend; snorkel removed, K&N filter, #55 Pilot, #165 main, shimmed needle, and new Big Gun Exhaust complete system. The result was fantastic with excellent throttle response throughout the range.

I have a question about a difference we found between the two carburetors. One had the white plastic piece that fits over the main jet (shown in figure 10 of the 4-strokes.com instruction for this mod). The other carburetor did not have that piece at all. Both bikes run equally well. What is that plastic piece for, and is it needed? Of course there is concern that that piece may be required for some reason.

Mac
:)

• MrShred

Posted May 23, 2005 - 09:05 PM

I believe the white plastic piece is a baffle to control fuel sloshing around in the float bowl. Are you sure it didn't fall out of the second bike?

• crwmac

Posted May 24, 2005 - 08:37 AM

No It was definately missing. I ordered a new one from the Honda Shop. Of course they wouldn't cover it under warrenty unlesse I ran it through service. Nahh, rather do it myself.

Thanks for the information!

Mac

I believe the white plastic piece is a baffle to control fuel sloshing around in the float bowl. Are you sure it didn't fall out of the second bike?

[I]

• jerry999er

Posted May 24, 2005 - 01:56 PM

where can i get the keihin jets i need for my 2000 xr650l

• Hayden

Posted May 24, 2005 - 09:51 PM

Hit up your dealer. There only a couple of bucks a piece. Any dirt bike shop will have them too.

Hayden.

94 L

• XR650L_Dave

Posted May 25, 2005 - 08:32 AM

www.bajadesigns.com
www.sudco.com

get the phone# off the website and call 'em- only way to get it done.
Make sure the pilot jet they send is the short one.

D

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • goblin127

Posted May 25, 2005 - 08:58 AM

since were on the subject,when i got my dj kit it had no pilot jet in the kit, so i went to my honda dealer and got a 55 pilot. I told them I wanted the short one, when i took the stock pilot jet out it is shorter than the new 55.Is this the right jet? thanx anyone!

• crwmac

Posted May 25, 2005 - 10:49 AM

Same here. The stock one was shorter. It was below the level of the pilot housing in the carb. The new one came up flush with the housing as shown in the picture on 4strokes.com. I figured it was OK since it matched the picture. Mine runs fine but I am also interested to know if there is a potential problem.

XRL_Dave ??? How long is long???

Mac

• XR650L_Dave

Posted May 26, 2005 - 08:22 AM

My long one was out to, or sticking a little out of, the pilot jet well. The stocker was well recessed in the well.
The long one seems to work OK, but be aware the slosh baffle can wiggle around and cover the jet. I trimmed my slosh baffle a little to make sure there wasn't an issue.
Took me a few days to find what was causing that little problem!

Dave

• crwmac

Posted May 26, 2005 - 11:46 AM

Thanks Dave! I will check out the baffle as you suggest.

Mac

• XR-Det

Posted May 26, 2005 - 03:05 PM

My long one was out to, or sticking a little out of, the pilot jet well. The stocker was well recessed in the well.
The long one seems to work OK, but be aware the slosh baffle can wiggle around and cover the jet. I trimmed my slosh baffle a little to make sure there wasn't an issue.
Took me a few days to find what was causing that little problem!

Dave

Hey Dave, what were your symptoms of it??? I recently have the problem that when I come from higher speeds and rpms to a quick stop that my idle goes way down and the engine dies. It doesn't do that very often and if it happens it starts right back up.

I was thinking to start looking/cleaning my carb and plug...

Det

• XR650L_Dave

Posted May 27, 2005 - 08:19 AM

My prob. was only large throttle settings worked, stalled elsewhere.
But if it only covers it a little it'll change the jetting, so if you have the long jet, you need to trim or relieve the baffle to be sure that's not the problem.

Dave

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Wiseco 101MM Spark Knock Low Engine Temps by imandrewparks

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 7 replies
Forums
Photo

Engine Loping/Sputtering by tcaldwell

• 2 replies
Forums
Photo
Washington

Cle Elum Sunday 5/29: Looking for dual sport tips by TigerTanker

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   Northwest
  • Hot  32 replies
Forums
Photo

2015 XR650L Squeaking noise by Crayjay

• 3 replies
Forums
Photo

Fell Off Trailer by usafxr

• Hot  43 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.