Lucky escape or what?

2 replies to this topic
  • WR450_in_Turkey

Posted May 23, 2005 - 06:11 AM

I have been doing some routine maintenance today like repack the silencer, add a long fuel screw etc. Included in the list was valve clearance check and adjust if needed. One of the inlet valves was slightly out of spec so I removed the tensioner and the cam cover. I was aware of the locating clip in the cam bearing but due to old age or something it went under force of gravity straight down using the cam chain as a guide into the engine. B#####ks! No chance of getting it back through the top so I drained the oil and removed the generator cover. I was shocked to find the lower idler gear outer bearing to be cracked through and in 2 pieces. Up to now there had been no starter issues with this bike and as far as I was aware the casting broke elsewhere on the 2003 models. It looks like it has been like it for a while as there are signs of wear on the face of the back bearing which is the crankcase of course. Here is the pictorial evidence:

I will now do the 2004 mod as soon as I can get the parts. Does anyone do a complete kit for this mod?

It looks like I had a lucky escape here. Has anyone else had this happen in this way?

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Indy_WR450

Posted May 23, 2005 - 07:03 AM

Read my right up and instructions on :
You can save on the cost of a new cover by ordering a bushing to place in the cover for the new torque limiter. :)

• WR450_in_Turkey

Posted May 23, 2005 - 08:08 AM

Yeah seen that. Unfortunately the casing is already toast so I will have to replace it. It must have been like that for some time. On closer inspection of the damage the casting looks painfully thin around the break. The price you pay for light and fast I guess. I have JB welded it (special epoxy) until I can arrange the parts from the US.

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.