I'm Lookin for some YZ426 info

29 replies to this topic
  • sirthumpalot

Posted May 24, 2005 - 06:55 PM

I hear ya....but I can tell you...handling, turning, acceleration and FUN factor have to be taken into account when comparing bikes. I loved my 426..it was a great bike. I never realized how much energy it took to ride though...until I switched bikes.

It does take energy, I'll give you that. It took me a long time to learn to relax and go fast at the same time. But in regards to handling, turning, acceleration and FUN factor; I think all the relatively modern bikes have all of these. Different personalities favor different bikes I'm sure, but put me on any bike made within the past few years and I'll be one happy rider. :)

• Satch0922

Posted May 24, 2005 - 07:00 PM

Every weekend I ride with guys that have YZF's and CRF's... they ride my bike and go "holy sh*t!" They too , like me, forgot how fun riding a motocross bike was.....or to quote one of them...."damn....my bike feels like a pig now..."

HOWEVER.... I am excited to see the new yzf....lighter ...lower center of gravity...better handling...gee .....like the 05 YZ250 :):D:D

• Satch0922

Posted May 24, 2005 - 07:06 PM

MotoMike...sorry for taking this slightly off topic...now back to the thread subject.

The 426 may very well be the best bike value for the money. Get the newest one you can find. The condition will tell you how well the owner took care of it. Ask him about oil changes. Let us know before you buy one and we will be happy to help.

• kevin204

Posted May 25, 2005 - 03:39 AM

Hi,
I've decided to sell my yz125 and get a more powerfull bike. I was thinking just to get a yz250 for a while until I heard some people at a hare scramble I ran in start talking about their 2001 yz426. So I thought I would maybe get some info on a thumper. I have never really considered one until now. Which is probably a good thing because I ride everything including trails and the 2-strokes just don't cut it on the trails (not to mention the neighbors don't like it either :) ). But I was just wondering how they perform and the main maintenance problems you guys know about them. I was looking for a 2001-2003 model because this is what I will be able to afford. Also How do they hang with the 250 2-strokes power wise. I mean I do hare scrambles and I don't want to get wasted. But just let me know what you know.

Thanks

Don't make the mistake of thinking the thumper will be quieter. The YZ4 is alot louder than that little 125. It isnt like a quiet little XR250, it makes alot of noise.

• horsappl

Posted May 31, 2005 - 06:05 PM

I was about to order a flywheel weight until I read your post. My problem is throttle control. Will the 450 cam make the bike more controllable on steep jumps and corners? The bike always feels like it wants to loop out on me on a steep jump, and I have had too many close calls. Thanks for the help!

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • horsappl

Posted May 31, 2005 - 07:20 PM

[quote name='Satch0922']First...before you buy flywheel weights or auto clutches....install the 450 autodecomp cam. QUOTE]

I was about to order a flywheel weight until I read your post. My problem is throttle control. Will the 450 cam make the bike more controllable on steep jumps and corners? The bike always feels like it wants to loop out on me on a steep jump, and I have had too many close calls. :) Thanks for the help! :D

• horsappl

Posted May 31, 2005 - 07:21 PM

[quote name='Satch0922']First...before you buy flywheel weights or auto clutches....install the 450 autodecomp cam. QUOTE]

I was about to order a flywheel weight until I read your post. My problem is throttle control. Will the 450 cam make the bike more controllable on steep jumps and corners? The bike always feels like it wants to loop out on me on a steep jump, and I have had too many close calls. :D Thanks for the help! :)

• 00YZ426FMRCD

Posted June 01, 2005 - 12:47 PM

There is not a better or more versatile woods/trails/MX motorcycle than the 426. A little heavy for MX but only about 11-12 lbs heavier than the new 450's. Weigh all this up with rock solid reliability and enough said.

My .02

:)

• yamahakid1

Posted June 24, 2005 - 08:17 AM

hey fatboyrv or anyone else that knows im 135lbs is the 436f to big for me. how heavy is it?

• yamahakid1

Posted June 24, 2005 - 08:18 AM

hey fatboyrv or anyone else that knows im 135lbs is the 426f to big for me. how heavy is it?

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies
Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.